1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weak chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by greensgoldens, Apr 17, 2017.

1. greensgoldens

greensgoldens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2015
    I just hatched a few chicks. One took over 36 hours and I ended up helping her as her beak was out but seemed stuck. That was 40 hours ago. She was very weak but slowly is getting better. She still doesn't seems to be able to walk quite right yet, her feet and legs look normal. Is it possible she just needs extra recovery time? I wonder if she was in the egg wrong? She actually is eating some and drinking when I help her. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. silkie1472

silkie1472 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2016
    I have helped many chicks out that I knew were not going to get out of the egg on their own. Usually, they will be weak for about a week, yet some much longer. I sometimes add vitamins to the water, but I think that sugar water may help the chick. Most likely, the chick is exausted and may have began to get shrink-wrapped by the internal membrane. Many will disagree, but I think you did the right thing.

3. greensgoldens

greensgoldens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2015
    It was a tough decision to decide to help her. I really don't think she would have made it otherwise. I will definitely try some supplements in her water. Hopefully she will regain her strength! Thanks for the encouragement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by