Weak Chick

StrawberryMoon

Chirping
Jul 22, 2016
Indiana, USA
I have been raising 23 faverolles chicks which are now 5 weeks old. They are still indoors in the brooder. I went away for the weekend and had a friend (with chicken experience) come over and check on them a couple times a day and make sure they always had food and water. When I got home, the air conditioner had shut off and it was 88 degrees in their room. I opened windows and turned the air conditioner back on. They still had a little water left and some food. Most of the chicks were fine but one of my smaller female chicks was just lying on the floor. Some other chicks stepped on her and she didn't even protest. I scooped her up and started giving her water. She drank. I gave her some half water / half Gatorade solution and she drank some of that too. I gave her food and she ate a lot. She perked up a little and walked around, though not very energetically. She tried to fly but fell. She is holding her wings a little strangely, kind of like they are not all the way folded up. I separated her into her own brooder with food and the 50% Gatorade solution and an EcoGlow at one end. She went under the EcoGlow. She resumed peeping a little bit but it is very weak and quiet. Am I doing the right things? What else can I do for her?

Well here is my solution if it was me.
I would quit the Gatorade as it had sugar which the chicken does not need.
(1) Instead put 1 tsp of unpreserved apple cider vingar to a pint of water.
(2) and I would feed her the WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
here is my solution to help the chickens body heal faster.
WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
for one hen
3 tbsp. of dry chicken mash or crumbles
1/2 tsp of dry flax seed meal
1 tbsp. of plain yoguart
4 tbsp. of water
1 tbsp. of unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar.
mix good
ADD TO WET MASH THREE VITAMINS
1-1000 Mg of Vit e,(cut end off vit. and squeeze it in to the wet mash.)
1-Vit B Complex (crush the vit B complex tablet into a tbsp., add a few drops of water to dissolve)
1-Selenium (crushed and add water to dissolve, put in wet mash)
now mix good and feed the hen twice daily for 7 days.
Then 2nd week
feed 5 times that week.
And feed twice a week for life.
Also can be fed to the rest of the flock.
twice a week with out vitamins.
Then one every three weeks put the vitamins in wet mash probiotic recipe.
THIS RECIPE HERE IS FOR ONE CHICKEN, TO MAKE FOR THE FLOCK MULTIPLY TIMES THE AMOUNT OF CHICKENS FEEDING.
ALSO USE HARD PLASTIC LARGE DOG BOWLS 12" BY 4 INCHES DEEP SO ALL CAN EAST IT.
This will help the hen to heal.
ALSO
add 2 tsp of acv to a gallon of water for them
such as Heinz or Braggs, sold at Walmart.
Do not add a lot of mixtures such as supplements to the water as chickens do not like it messy and will avoid drinking it.
ACV water they will drink readily.

I have been raising 23 faverolles chicks which are now 5 weeks old. They are still indoors in the brooder. I went away for the weekend and had a friend (with chicken experience) come over and check on them a couple times a day and make sure they always had food and water. When I got home, the air conditioner had shut off and it was 88 degrees in their room. I opened windows and turned the air conditioner back on. They still had a little water left and some food. Most of the chicks were fine but one of my smaller female chicks was just lying on the floor. Some other chicks stepped on her and she didn't even protest. I scooped her up and started giving her water. She drank. I gave her some half water / half Gatorade solution and she drank some of that too. I gave her food and she ate a lot. She perked up a little and walked around, though not very energetically. She tried to fly but fell. She is holding her wings a little strangely, kind of like they are not all the way folded up. I separated her into her own brooder with food and the 50% Gatorade solution and an EcoGlow at one end. She went under the EcoGlow. She resumed peeping a little bit but it is very weak and quiet. Am I doing the right things? What else can I do for her?

So what I'm getting out of all if this is... my chicks caused my turkey to die?

Nothing to do with ACV or cedar chips?

Blackhead causes the turkey to gasp for air?

Well first do away with the gator ade: tooooo much sugar
Chicks need this:
2tsp of unpasteurized apple cider vinegar in the gallon of water.
Also the best thing I am aquainted with for many years is my
WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE
WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE FOR CHICKENS WITH ANY HEALTH PROBLEMS
Glenda Heywood

WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE FOR YOUR CHICKENS HEALTH.
ACV by Bragg's is sold by Amazon and at Walmart. (remember to get Bragg's as it has the "brown mother" in the bottom of the bottle.)

My Daughter JoAnna Mertz feeds this wet mash probiotic several times a week to our 10 hens, 5 buff orpingtons 5plymouth rocks, and they are eating it up in 30 minutes.

To make the WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE HERE IT IS
(A) TAKE 2 CUPS OF DRY CRUMBLES OR PELLETS,
(B) 1 TSP OF DRY FLAX SEED MEAL (THAT IS FOR HUMANS)
(C) PUT 4 CUPS OF water,
1 tbsp of dry flax seed meal,
(D) AND 2 TBSP OF THE UNPASTURIZED ACV.

(E) ALSO 1 /2 CUP OF UNFLAVORED YOUGART.

(F) MIX GOOD. PUT IT IN GLASS CONTAINER, AND KEEP ON THE COUNTER OVER NIGHT.

(G) IF IN THE MORNING YOU CAN ADD MORE water TO THE MIX TO MAKE IT SOLUBLE, like cookie dough, not soupy,

(H) DO NOT MAKE IT SOUPY AS CHICKENS DO NOT LIKE IT SOUPY.

(I) IF THE MIX IS OKAY IN THE MORNING AND NOT TOO DRY FEED IT IN THE GLASS CONTAINER SO ALL THE CHICKENS CAN GET TO IT.

(J I USED 2 VERY LARGE GLASS PIE PLATES. AND THEN CLEAN THE PIE PLATES BY BRING THEM BACK TO THE HOUSE.

(K) FEED THIS AMOUNT TO EACH CHICKEN 3 tbsp of mix when wet, so make your recipe to fit all amount of chickens to be fed

(L) WHEN MIXING FOR 1 CHICKEN DO THISIE: take 3 tbsp of dry feed and add 6 tbsp of milk, 1/4 tsp of dry flax seed meal, 1 tbsp of yougart plain kind, 1 tsp ACV,

(M) NOW IF THE CHICKEN IS SICK ADD THIS TO THE WET MASH PROBIOTIC RECIPE

(N) 1 Vit E capsule buy cutting end of capsule off and squeezing it into the wet mix.
(O) 1-Vit B tablet crushed in table spoon and add a little water to disolve crushed tablet and then add to wet mash

(P) 1- Selenium tablet crushed in tbsp and add little water to it and then add to wwet mash.
(Q) now mx good and feed sick chicken every day for 7 days

(R) now feed it 5 times for second week.

(S) then 2 times a week for life

(T) feed all healthy chickens 2 times a week for life WITH VITAMINS ONCE EVERY TWO WEEKS

(1) A NOTE HERE IS ABOUT WHEN CHICKENS HAVE COCCIDIOSIS YOU HAVE TO WAIT TILL THEY ARE OFF THE MEDICATION AT THE END OF 7 DAYS TO GIVE THE VITAMIS BECAUSE OF THIS FACT:
(2) IE::
Amprolium interferes with the coccidia oocyst’s ability to metabolise vitamin B so you may need to provide your chickens with a vitamin B supplement following treatment – but don’t give them this during treatment as you might render it ineffective.

(3) if feeding three week old or older chicks use 1 tbsp. per chick, and as they grow older increase by one tsp= 3 tsp is 1 tbsp. measure.

Thank you for the suggestions! I wanted to post an update, because this was not what I initially thought it was. Maybe this story will help someone else.

I took her to the vet on Monday, and the doctor discovered she has a problem with her tongue. The tip of her tongue is very swollen and necrotic. The vet suspected she had a blood clot in her tongue, which cut off circulation, but she couldn't be sure of the cause. The swollen tongue makes it very difficult for her to eat and drink. I'm hand feeding baby bird formula and water through syringes every 2 hours. Antibiotics twice a day. She can eat a little regular food on her own, but not enough to build her strength back up. Her fate is uncertain at this point, but we hope she will recover. Right now we are focused on helping her regain her strength, but within the next couple of days the dead part of her tongue will likely fall off. After that we will have to see if she is still able to eat without the tip of her tongue. :(

Back
Top Bottom