Weak chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JBavar, Aug 20, 2013.

1. JBavar

JBavar Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2013
    Just got my three babies in the mail, and the light brahma (Bubbles) had halfway wedged herself between the bedding and the cardboard. She's very weak :( She can't stand, and she sleeps a lot. I've been giving her some honey water every twenty minutes, and she perked up a little after her first feeding of it. I'm just worried she won't recover. She hatched yesterday morning, I picked her up this morning at 9:30 from the post office.

Blossom and Buttercup are super sassy, drinking and eating and establishing pecking order already.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Make sure she isn't too hot or too cold.
    If you're using a dropper to water her, try some plain yogurt or a solution of water and boiled egg yolk.
    If you have access to vitamin/electrolytes or chick saver for the water put that in.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Make sure that she is warm. The temperature in the brooder should be about 95 degrees at this point in the chicks lives. As for feeding, continue giving the honey water. If you have any/can get some, I'd put some chick vitamins/electrolytes, and possibly some probiotics, in the water, too. You could also mix some egg yolk with water and yogurt and give that to your chick. Your little chick is probably just stressed out by the shipping; given enough time and care, she will likely (and hopefully!) recover.

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    If you give too much honey water then it's going to have more problems, it can help at first but should not be continued. The sugar will draw water into the intestine and cause diarrhea which will then raise the chances of pasty butt. I'd give apple cider vinegar "with the mother" to them via their waterer or use Save A Chick. The vinegar you can give forever though, it's great stuff

http://www.scratchandpeck.com/the-values-of-raw-apple-cider-vinegar

5. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    She won't need to eat till she is about 3 days old. I wouldn't maintain the honey/sugar in her diet for long either. We are all rooting for her but usually the first week shows who was meant to survive and who has internal problems we can't see.

6. JBavar

Aug 20, 2013
    Thanks for all the advice, guys. She pooped, and while I was cleaning her little butt she was protesting quite loudly so that makes me a little hopeful. I stopped the honey water so she won't get diarrhea. I guess we'll see in the morning if she just needed some rest and water...

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Good luck!

8. JBavar

Aug 20, 2013
    She died last night. I'm glad she went quickly if she had to go. It's just sad, this could have been prevented by better packing practices by MPC. If they'd used a single large piece of nesting material to line the box, there wouldn't have been any crevices they could trap themselves in away from the others.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry for your loss.

10. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Sorry for your loss. It possibly could have been prevented but often there is nothing we can do. Sadly sometimes nature just has other plans.Considering the number of chicks hatched and mailed daily the hatcheries do an excellent job.. Call the hatchery immediately and they should send a replacement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by