Weak chicken - rehabbing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Vernlumma, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Vernlumma

Vernlumma In the Brooder

Mar 18, 2019
    I have a silkie hen who I believe had wry neck, she's starting to try to eat on her own, with help of it being very close to her face, my question is she's laying down a lot on her side, should I put her in something to where she can start to assume a normal stance or close to it, starting with a more normal lying down position? I wasn't sure if it would be detrimental for her to keep laying the way she is, not strengthening muscles as she improves?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How long has she had Wry Neck?
    What have you been treating her with (and for how long)?
    Is she able to see? Photos of her eyes and of her would be good.
    Is she unable to walk, are her legs paralyzed?

Wry Neck is a symptom. Some common causes are Marek's disease, vitamin deficiency, head injury and sometimes genetics.

You can try placing her in a chicken sling to help keep her upright and hopefully she will start using her legs more.

3. Vernlumma

Vernlumma In the Brooder

Mar 18, 2019

She has been down for a little less than a week, she kicks her legs but can't hold herself up. She can see if she saw another bird eating next to her she would peck and try to eat, but for a few days I had to force some meat in her mouth, I don't know if I feel comfortable tube feeding, but if it's necessary I will. I'm a nurse so I can figure out out with instruction I just was trying everything else first. She has definitely lost weight, I have made a mash of the feed with calf manna and a vitamin /electrolyte. I also wormed her just in case. I added Molly's herbals to their diet. I have another that is having symptoms too but it can stand but is wobbly and one of its legs tends to extend back, they both have slowly improved the last couple days, but very slowly. It has issues as a chick so I feel like it was more prone maybe? I can try to take picture of her eyes, I'll have someone help me later.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How old?
    Have you tried giving vitamins? 400IU Vitamin E + 1/4 Tablet B-Complex daily, give some egg as a treat for the uptake of E.

It very much sounds like Marek's but really hard to know unless you lose one and have testing.
    I would try vitamins and giving chick starter to see if that make a difference.

5. Vernlumma

Vernlumma In the Brooder

Mar 18, 2019
    Thanks I'll get some of those today then, she's only about 6-7 months old. Is mareks always a death sentence? What do I do for my other birds?

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    No, Marek's is not always a death sentence, some birds can recover. They may never show symptoms again or they may relapse again - the disease is complex.

With Marek's you would treat symptoms and hope they get better, there is no cure. As for your other chickens if they are fine, then just enjoy them. Try to keep things stress free, if there is drama in the flock try to solve it, often times adding a feeder/roosting bar or more space can reduce stress. Stress is also brought on by temperature changes and molting - not a lot you can do about these, except to make sure everyone is eating a nutritionally balanced diet and drinking well.

Sadly, some birds do not recover or they decline further. Quality of life needs to be considered every step of the way. It does stink at times, but kindly putting one out of their misery is part of chicken keeping.

Here's a very good article about Marek's:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Eggcessive likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: