Weak Chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by marinaD, Aug 15, 2013.

1. marinaD

marinaD New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    Hello! This is my first time posting here, but I've enjoyed reading helpful posts here in the past. We have 5 backyard chickens, and other than predators (a sneaky bobcat), have had an easy time raising chickens the past couple of years.

We bought three 5-week old chickens from a local farm in June. They are now around 3 months old. In the last few weeks we have noticed one of the Easter Eggers hasn't developed as quickly as the others. She's much smaller than the other EE and hasn't gotten her "adult voice" like the other two have- she still peeps. Her tail and wings often seem droopy and I have never seen her run like the others. She walks slowly and doesn't protest at all when the kids hold her. She isn't lethargic, but I've never seen a chicken this mellow before.

Amy advice is very appreciated. Thank you!

Little Ms Peepers is eating, drinking, and pooping well.

Does this sound like any sort of developmental delay, muscular, worm or parasite issue you've heard of? Should I take her to the vet?

Here's what I mean regarding the droopy wings, and they are not always like this:
    [​IMG]

She will literally take a nap with the kids...
    [​IMG]

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] she may be just a very placid bird. Do you see any sign of lice or mites on her? Since her development is delayed (feathering, cheeping etc.) it may just be that she is slower than the others and in time will catch up. How does she get along with the other birds? Does she hide from them or join in? Do the others peck her or bully her?

If you have a vet that treats poultry you might want to bring her in for your peace of mind.

5. wvWyandotte

wvWyandotte Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Newton, WV
    [​IMG] Hi from WV! In regards to your question, I am no pro at this either, but one of my chicks seemed to be acting similar at that same age. I wasn't sure what to do so I tried the save-a-chick electrolyte mix you put in the water in case she was stressed , dehydrated, or just needed a little vitamin or mineral kick. Maybe I got lucky, but she seemed to jump out of it. She began acting what I considered normal after that. [​IMG] Good luck!

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us!

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I agree with the above advice. Good luck with her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by