Weak Chicks—is heat plate the problem, brooder wire, or something else

Tunie B

Songster
Oct 19, 2020
I’m raising my 3rd round of baby chicks inside, and this time has been harder. I just walked in to find my 6-day old Silkie cross with her leg stuck in the wire mesh that makes up the bottom of the brooder. She was giving alarm chirps and eyes were closed.

I was able to get her unstuck and got some chick electrolytes into her. I lined the bottom of the brooder with puppy pads because I don’t want anyone else getting stuck.

I lost one of the Salmon Favorelle at 2days old; her leg also got stuck, but she also was having mobility issues and I thought it was possibly a neurological issue.

Now a 2nd Salmon Favorelle chick is acting very sleepy and barely moved when I picked her up. I dipped her beak in the electrolytes, too. Her leg was not stuck, but now I’m paranoid that something isn’t right.

The last two times I raised chicks, I used a heat lamp. This time I have a heating plate for them to go under. The house is warm and cozy; chick feed and water is constantly available.

I’d love any ideas or advice. I will be so bummed if my little Green Queen bantam and SF don’t make it.

I don't know which exact heat plate you're using but I recently got a heat plate and I haven't thrown it in the trash yet but I will never use it for chicks.
There is no doubt that if I used the one I have that I would have dead chicks because it gets way too hot.

What exactly do you feed?

How hot is the heat plate when you touch it? Is it angled so they can physically press against it when sitting as well as standing?

The wire mesh is a different issue, I'd consider removing it for future usage, or covering it with a solid material that can't be scratched or peeled away.
Maybe I should put down towels—the puppy pads might be okay for a short time, while they are tiny (I think?)

How hot is the heat plate when you touch it? Is it angled so they can physically press against it when sitting as well as standing?

The wire mesh is a different issue, I'd consider removing it for future usage, or covering it with a solid material that can't be scratched or peeled away.
It’s a brand of heat plate recommended by The Chicken Chick blogger—can’t remember the brand, but it’s from the UK. It’s lowered so they can touch it, but it’s tough to gauge how low/high it should be for all chicks (I have a mix of chick sizes/breeds—the Speckled Sussex seems much taller.)

I don't know which exact heat plate you're using but I recently got a heat plate and I haven't thrown it in the trash yet but I will never use it for chicks.
There is no doubt that if I used the one I have that I would have dead chicks because it gets way too hot.

What exactly do you feed?
Dumor Chick starter from TSC—18% protein

Maybe I should put down towels—the puppy pads might be okay for a short time, while they are tiny (I think?)
I'd get something more study - cardboard perhaps, and I'd punch a few small holes in it and zip tie it firmly to the wire so no chance of a corner peeling up and a chick getting stuck on the edges. I've also lost a chick to getting its foot stuck in a crevice.
It’s a brand of heat plate recommended by The Chicken Chick blogger—can’t remember the brand, but it’s from the UK. It’s lowered so they can touch it, but it’s tough to gauge how low/high it should be for all chicks (I have a mix of chick sizes/breeds—the Speckled Sussex seems much taller.)
Can you put your hand on it and see how hot/cold it is? Sometime plates run hotter or colder than expected.

Also have the chicks been vaccinated for coccidiosis or are they on medicated feed? No bloody poops?

Back
Top Bottom