Weak chicks with fleas on their faces

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BoereMeisie, Feb 5, 2014.

1. BoereMeisie

BoereMeisie Cape Town Farm Girl

Oct 21, 2012
    Atlantis, South Africa
    My broody Silkie hatched out two chicks on the 1st of Feb. This afternoon I found one just sitting in the sun and not with its mother, when I picked her up she just flopped her head backwards like a dead chick but she's still breathing. I found her face to be full of fleas, around the eyes and beak and underneath the beak as well. It's a crust of fleas! I started patting Apple Cider Vinegar on the spots with fleas on and they started scattering away. This evening I found the other chick on the coop floor - she looked dead, but when I picked her up she was also still breathing. Applied ACV as well. I have both chicks in a small brooder now, and the second chick that looked dead when I picked her up was jumping around in there trying to get out - full of life, but the first chick is not opening her eyes and just lying there - still breathing though. I keep treating the flea spots, with "Khakibos" spray this time, which is a natural flea treatment. Is there something I can give them to perk them up? Sugar water? ACV? A little bit of milk? What is the probability that they'll make it? Is it the fleas that made them weak?

ETA: It's summer over here, and the fleas must have moved in while my hen was brooding, because there are no infestations in the main coop: Only in the broody coop [​IMG]

I've since treated the hen, the nest and the older chicks in that coop with flea powder. On a sweet note - The older chicks were brooder chicks, and having lost both her chicks to me treating them now, the hen adopted the older chicks! Silly things trying to sleep underneath a small Silkie

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    poly-vi-sol , its a babys vitamin. sugar water might help.

3. BoereMeisie

BoereMeisie Cape Town Farm Girl

Oct 21, 2012
    Atlantis, South Africa
    Thank you for the answer :) I didn't reply immediately as I was tending to the chicks. Some of the fleas were very determined to stay on them so I gently pulled them off with tweezers. It took forever! They both made it through the night on sugar water, and I introduced some boiled egg again this morning. One is very perky and eating again, while the first one I found is very sluggish. I still give her some sugar water. One will pull through for sure, and the other one *might* [​IMG]

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    they sucked their blood they need some iron? b vitamin? whatever it is. maybe we can do a transfusion. lol

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i know what would be good, fry them some chicken livers up. and any left overs you can send my way

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by