Weak crying half dead chick help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jjdesmo11, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    B22DC189-D843-46C9-942F-15F9F69EE6A3.jpeg 1E8A208B-6420-43FF-912D-1228E2FF6841.jpeg post.

Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) 2 week old frizzle Cochin bantam. Bought her last week and she is thinner and lighter than the other two.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    chick is loosing balance and weak. Constantly crying although no pasty butt and is on a heated pad. Not been exposed to other birds or outside so I don’t think Merck’s
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I treated all 3 with Corid 6 days ago and noticed 3 days in she was sleeping more and eating less. So about 3 days ago
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I believe the Corid depleted the chicks vitamins causing balance issues and weakness. I also added warm water to the feed post causing mold to form?
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I’m syringe feeding nutri drench water, exact baby parrot food and have given charcoal water to flush possible toxin? Poop is normal. Not bloody or mucosy
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Light brown with white streaks. mostly wet than dry and a solid form
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? after 5 days of Corid I gave a Corid drench and sugar water to perk her up. Then changed my mind and thought maybe she needs vitamins so the last day I’ve stopped Corid and only giving vitamins and electrolytes (rooster booster)
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I plan to treat her myself. I don’t want to spend the money on her at this point
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    she is inside in a plastic bin brooder with a heated mat. Using a nipple waterer ( she knows how to use it) using pine chips

Jac Jac, glassdragonfly and mamajos like this.
  2. gtaus

gtaus Crowing

Mar 29, 2019
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I always ensure newborn chicks are under a heat lamp at about 95F and have food and water available. Newborn chicks sleep a lot and look dead when sleeping. Not only do they need heat, but they also need a place that is cooler in the brooder if they get too hot. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, not all chicks make it through those first 2-3 days which are so critical. Hoping you chick gains strength and makes it through these critical first days.

3. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    Thank you. She’s actually 2 weeks old. So she’s fighting something off and just very weak! I work 12 hr shifts and so if she isn’t supported while I’m at work she keeps getting weaker an weaker

4. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Mold is extremely toxic. It can cause damage to the nervous system. Are you sure the feed became moldy? Sometimes when feed begins to ferment, it forms a white film called scoby. It's not toxic. Mold usually forms when the feed is exposed to dampness, not mixed with water.

But this chick could still be suffering from a vitamin deficiency and it may also be failure-to-thrive. Give it warm sugar water with a drop of Nutri-drench. For the balance issues, give one vitamin E capsule each day with some soft boiled egg. It's important to get all of the E oil into the chick so squeeze the oil capsule directly into the beak.

The chick could also be suffering from constipation even though you see no pasty butt. Give the chick a half teaspoon of coconut oil right now. Chill briefly in the fridge to make it solid and it will be easy to slip small bits into its beak. Are your chicks getting grit? It's always a good idea to supply chick grit even if they only get chick feed. It just makes for better digestion.

5. ----------

---------- Chirping

May 29, 2019
    could it be too hot the reason it keeps crying

glassdragonfly likes this.
  6. ----------

---------- Chirping

May 29, 2019
    could it be too hot the reason it keeps crying

glassdragonfly likes this.
  7. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    Thank you will do this now! I don’t have any chick grit. The food I was fermenting was scratch and peck and I had a small jar so didn’t have a lot of water on the top. I was adding warm water to chick feed to make a mash in the days before the fermented feed was ready and they weren’t eating it all up so it sat there for a few days.

gtaus and glassdragonfly like this.
  8. Jjdesmo11

Jjdesmo11 Songster

Jun 1, 2017
    Tennessee
    I realized I have vitamin d 3 not e. Will d 3 be ok?

glassdragonfly and gtaus like this.
  9. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Vitamin D3 isn't what the chick needs. Vitamin D is helpful to absorb calcium when hens start to lay, but this chick needs vitamin E to help repair any neurological damage it might have. The balance issues and weakness could be signs of this.

I strongly suggest doing the coconut oil right away in case the chick is constipated. The signs of constipation are chirping constantly, and lethargy. It can be fatal, so try to get some oil into the chick.

10. Jac Jac

Jac Jac Songster

May 6, 2019
    Chatham county, GA
    Love your suggestions. I am learning so much from you all; please keep them coming. We newbies need all the assistance we can get, even if we are not currently experiencing the same issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: