weak duckling!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JoshSnape, Jun 1, 2010.

1. JoshSnape

JoshSnape Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a duckling hatch this morning, 2 days after the rest, the mother did most of the breaking of the egg, it does'nt move much and a pink bit on his bum, with a little bit of red in the middle. Whats Going on? Will he get Better? Is this normal? Its heart breaking.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It may just need a bit more time to rest after hatching- being later than the others- he may be more exhausted - and with the others up and running around already- it might be a little much for the little one. Is there any way you can keep it inside by itself for a day or so until it gains its strength??

3. JoshSnape

I dont have a brooding light, but would it be okay in the incutator? The other 18 duckling have been outside and been swimming. so It maybe. Maybe when was pipping he was'nt quiet ready. So i will keep informed.

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    You could try it in an incubator if it doesnt start to perk up soon- But not if there are eggs in it- as you would have to provide it food and water and have the temp down to about 80 degrees. Normally it would be about 90 for a new hatchling- but I would run it lower to ensure it didnt overheat- as in an incubator it couldnt escape the heat like it could from a lamp. I use a reading lamp in my brooders- It gives off enough heat- as I keep my heater on in the house as well.

5. JoshSnape

I have'nt got any eggs in it, but I dont think it going to make it, its at the edge of the nest, has'nt moved, and is still wet. It was churping when pipping so maybe. I'll leave it for an hour.

6. JoshSnape

The duckling died.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. JoshSnape

The duckling died

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Oh nooo.... Josh I am so sorry to hear that. It is natures way though- and maybe a sign something was wrong with that little one. Too bad you had to have that happen at the end of an otherwise great hatch. Hope all the others are well-And that the mother duck cares for them all well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by