weak eggshell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mtngirl35, Jan 14, 2014.

1. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    I have six laying hens. They have been laying for about two months now. They eat layer pellets daily and oyster shell is supplied constantly in a separate feeder. I also give them veggies or cracked corn three or four days a week as a treat. For the last three days I have gotten four eggs a day. Three of them are fine but one of them breaks when I wash it. With only slight pressure from my finger. I have no idea which hen it is and all of them are acting normal. Any advice? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    How old are the hens? Do you know if all six have been laying the last two months, or could one have just started recently? How much extra corn etc are you giving them, could one hen be a hog and getting most of the treats (and not eating the layer like she should)? Are they eating the oyster shell at all, have you changed it lately...some brands they do seem to like better than others. With only one doing it, hopefully it is something specific to her and not related to the flocks diet or health. It is fairly common in new layers which time should straighten out, or could be some problem with her ability to use calcium. The Poultry Site has a good article on possible causes.
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs

1 person likes this.
  3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Some hens just apply the shells thicker, some thinner. If they've only been laying for 2 months, they're probably still working out some kinks and it'll likely resolve itself [​IMG]

4. Davey G

Davey G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2014
    What are the breeds of your chickens?

5. mtngirl35

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Five of my hens are about 8 months old. Five of them started laying about 2 months ago. A younger hen started laying about a month ago. I have been giving a bit more corn lately because we had a really cold snap for our area. I live in TN and last week it was below zero a couple of nights. Way colder than we're used to. Usually mid twenties at night here in January. I am usually in the run when they get treats and I don't think any one is being more of a hog than the others. They go thru the oyster shell on a fairly regular basis. I check it every day and refill it whenever it turns up empty. I used to be able to keep up with what each hen was doing but 2 weeks ago I went from 3rd shift to 1st shift so now the egg laying happens when I'm at work. Now that the weather is back to normal I'll cut back on the corn and see if that helps. Thanks for the link. I'm going to read it right now.

6. mtngirl35

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    I have 2 barred rocks, 2 black sexlinks, 1 black australorp, and one that is supposed to be a light sussex but she is cream and brown, not much bigger than a banty, and has feathers down the side of her legs.

7. mtngirl35

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    I hope so. None of the eggs are shaped funny or pitted. Just getting one with a thin shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by