Weak, fluffed up, pale comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jenifern, Oct 26, 2013.

1. jenifern

jenifern Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Canada
    I have a 5 month old pullet who in the past month seems to have become very weak, thin, pale comb, sits stagnant most of the day, very lethargic. Her sisters are much heavier, their combs are bright and red as they are coming close to laying, there is a definite difference. I have wormed her twice, checked her for lice and mites (found nothing) but dusted her anyhow as she never seems to jump in there and dust bathe with the others. I also treated her with permetherin drops just in case. I don't live where there is fowl tick...I am very perplexed. To me it would seem like some sort of parasite the way she is so weak and thin and pale. She is quarantined from the others. Ideas? I'm just worried she is going to wither away :(

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How do her poops look like? She may have an internal issue that is making her weak. I would make sure next that her crop is emptying overnight in case she has impacted or sour crop. With all that you have done if she is having any diarrhea, I would treat her for coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium) liquid 2 tsp or 1 tsp powder in 1 gallon of water for 5 days. It will be in the cattle meds section of your local feedstore.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd guess that she has Coccidosis. I'd get some Corid (amprolium) as soon as possible, and start treating. The dosage for the liquid is two teaspoons per gallon, and for the powder, it is 1.5 teaspoons (approximately-- actually, there is some controversy over the dosage-- one teaspoon would be fine too) per gallon. Give Corid for five days.

4. jenifern

Mar 15, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for the replies. I hope I can find something like that at my feed store here. Failing that would medicated chick starter work? I know that it has ingredients in it to help prevent Coccidosis, or perhaps it's just to build immunity? not effective at this point?

oh and ETA her poops seem a bit wet, but not bloody.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Fungal conditions sometimes cause birds to get thin & weak. You can read the page about Fungal Conditions on my website if you think that might apply.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Medicated feed can help prevent Coccidiosis, but it doesn't contain enough enough Coccidiostats to treat a chicken once it has Coccidiosis.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    You are correct in that medicated feed has a medication (called amprolium or coban) that helps chickens build resistance to Coccidiosis. However, there is not enough medication in medicated feed to treat a full-blown case of Coccidiosis. Hopefully, your feed store does have Corid! In case it helps, the Corid is often sold for cattle and other livestock. If you can't find Corid, then one thing you can do is feed your sick pullet buttermilk or yogurt--that will help coat her intestinal wall and stop the Coccidia from causing further damage. Keep in mind, though, that the buttermilk/yogurt is only a temporary fix.

8. jenifern

Mar 15, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks I am waiting to hear back from the feed store - Sunday. I do have buttermilk. This morning her poops are semi solid, green ish/white streaks. they look normal to me. No sign of red pink or any blood at all, I have news paper down under her in the cage. She is very weak, but she still chirps at me when I come to check on her. I have food in there for her as well as water with ACV.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    In Canada, Corid is called Amprol. You may be able to buy it through your veterinarian or ministry of health. Also, you might check for mites after dark with a flashlight. The red mite only comes out at night, hiding in the woodwork during the daytime.

10. jenifern

Mar 15, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks. I have checked the coop after dark several times to see if there are red mites. I see nothing though :/ Thanks for the info re: Amprol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by