weak hen

jwestberry

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 29, 2009
I have a hen who is about 8 or 9 mos. old.About 2wks. ago she hatched some eggs I couldn't get her to leave her babies to eat so she would eat thier food with them.Sunday she seemed a little weak but was still eating and drinking.Yesterday I went out to check on and feed them and I noticed she was still in the same spot I left her in the night befor and now she won't eat or drink and when I stand her up she falls over.Please help me she's my baby.
sad.png

I haven't had this happen so hopefully others will come along soon with the best advice - I am only chiming in because what you describe sounds very time sensitive with some action needed quickly. Get childrens polyvisol vitamin drops right away. Give her 3 drops daily for a good week (very carefully dribble with dropper along her beak line). You have to get fluids into her as well, somehow, some way, without the fluids going down wrong. She may also need electrolytes - a bit of pedialtye will do in a pinch. See if she will tolerate fruit - watermelon, berries, whatever - to get some fluid in her. Cut in little pieces so it's easy for her.

Others may come along who have experienced this situation and they may have better suggestions. Until then, I would hurry with these other things.

You said Sunday she was eating and drinking. It's Thursday - what was her condition Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday?

Hope this turns out well.
fl.gif
Keep us posted.
JJ

Look for "Polyvisol Enfamil Multivitamin Supplement Drops" That will be the stuff usually recommended on BYC . No iron in it, just A, B6, B12,C, D, E, Thiamin, Roboflavin, Niacin.
JJ

jjthink has the right solution. Along with several of the things to do, I also feed bread and mik (mixed) to a weak chicken. Hold her mouth open and put small bits of bread soaked in milk down her beak. Gotta get some wet in her before she dehydrates.

Unfortunately she didn't make it I got up and found her this morning.She wasn't doing any better.I tried everything but I think she was just too far gone.My cousin a vet tech said there was nothing I could do.She said once birds get ill it's very hard to get them healthy again.I think if I would have gotten to her sooner I could have saved her.But I've been so busy trying to help her and take care of my dog who had a stroke tuesday.I just haven't had any luck this week.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

I'm really sorry your bird suffered so. And I'm really sorry about your dog.

It's true that early intervention can make all the difference - they can get through a lot with some quick help. My hen Ellie got very ill last September - she got very weak, very fast, couldn't even hold her head up. I believe she would have died had I not hauled her little butt to the bird hospital as soon as she presented with those symptoms. Antibiotic and antiinflammatory pulled her through and she got well. Erring on the side of caution seems to be the way to go with these strong, yet at the same time vulnerable, beings.

I hope your dog gets well.

JJ

Back
Top Bottom