weak Hen!!

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi, I am hoping that someone here can help me out or a least give me a solid direction.

I have a hen, BO about 3 years old who is very weak. The flock had a bout of mites, I have
since then dusted and taken care of that. But she is seeming to not bounce back.

Could mites have made her this weak, or is something else going on?

They had their annual molt this past fall, all the others in the flock are doing great.

She is starting to limp, has not laid an egg in a long time. She is eating and drinking.

I have separated her from the rest of the flock because the others were picking on
her pretty severally.

Any help would be great. I am just totally lost on what I should do for her.
hit.gif

Thanks

1. Have you wormed them recently?

2. Have you checked for Bumble foot?

The mites could have definitely done this as they suck the blood. Try to build her back up by giving her tonics and give her scrambled eggs and mealworms as a treat. See if you can find a tonic with extra vitamins in.

1. Have you wormed them recently?

2. Have you checked for Bumble foot?

The mites could have definitely done this as they suck the blood. Try to build her back up by giving her tonics and give her scrambled eggs and mealworms as a treat. See if you can find a tonic with extra vitamins in.
I am due to worm them ASAP hopefully the next week or so.

She does not have bumble foot, I checked for that too.

What is tonic, is it like the tonic water that people drink or different?

Thanks

I am due to worm them ASAP hopefully the next week or so.

She does not have bumble foot, I checked for that too.

What is tonic, is it like the tonic water that people drink or different?

Thanks
A tonic I know of is Apple Cider Vinegar (you cant get the one for us though) and theres one called Oergo Stim which I also use. If you think they may have worms, give them ACV in the water, tomatoes and apples. All are acidic so make it uncomfortable for the worms to live and breed in. Please take note that this does not worm them. Also give pumpkin seeds if you can get them as they are known to be a natural wormer, but still I would use a proper one afterwards. What wormer do you plan to use? I buy marriges with flubenvet. It is layers pellets with the wormer mixed in and there is no egg withdrawl. Let us know how she gets on!

A tonic I know of is Apple Cider Vinegar (you cant get the one for us though) and theres one called Oergo Stim which I also use. If you think they may have worms, give them ACV in the water, tomatoes and apples. All are acidic so make it uncomfortable for the worms to live and breed in. Please take note that this does not worm them. Also give pumpkin seeds if you can get them as they are known to be a natural wormer, but still I would use a proper one afterwards. What wormer do you plan to use? I buy marriges with flubenvet. It is layers pellets with the wormer mixed in and there is no egg withdrawl. Let us know how she gets on!
Thanks, I will give her some ACV. I use safe guard for worming them. So far I have had good success with it.

I will see about getting ahold of some pumpkin seeds. Does it have to be fresh or can I used
seed packets that are used for planting??

Thanks, I will give her some ACV. I use safe guard for worming them. So far I have had good success with it.

I will see about getting ahold of some pumpkin seeds. Does it have to be fresh or can I used
seed packets that are used for planting??
I honestly don't know. The people I know who do it just buy a pumpkin, chop it in half and give it to the hens. I think you should mabes give apples as well just to try make it as uncomfortable as possible. Hope she gets well soon! Also, do remember to try the scrambled egg and meal worms too because if its not worms the acid wont make much change to her!

Also remember to not put too much ACV in the water or she ma not drink it and then she will get dehydrated which wont be good for a hen which is already run down!

Back
Top Bottom