Weak-Legged duckling, where can i buy niacin gel or brewers yeast?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lunyre, Jan 27, 2014.

1. lunyre

lunyre Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    I'm looking where i can buy brewers yeast or niacin gel for my duckling who is having difficulty with his legs... somewhere safe and cheap, online will work.

thank you!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You might call around - niacin capsules are not expensive (don't get timed release or no flush, just plain), I found mine at a local pharmacy, Walmart or some of the other big box stores may carry it.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When i bought my first Brewers yeast it was at a natural food store, I think plain niacin would dif be less expensive.

5. lunyre

Jan 23, 2014
    he falls over very frequently and cannot easily support his weight. i exercise him regularly but he shakes on his legs. he isnt all that pigeon-toed or anything, and he certainly isnt sick.. i think he's just missing enough nourishment for proper development. i made the mistake of buying a cheap brand of feed to save on costs. I'm going to start him on purina as soon as i can, but in the time being im gonna try to supplement what he needs. does it matter what kind of brewers yeast i get? i found 16oz of twinlab brewing yeast for like 7 dollars... and im planning on just sprinkling it in his food. also for the niacin how much should i put in his water..?

6. lunyre

Jan 23, 2014
    edit: posted twice because i didnt think it posted.. sorry was confused because my internet went out, turns out my post did go through.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Storey's Guide recommends 100 tp 150 mg niacin per gallon of water for a couple of months. I have seen a few recommendations online about the yeast, "a sprinkling" or "a spoonful" is often cited as the amount that people use.

Welcome to the forum. [​IMG] I did not mean to forget my manners.[​IMG]

8. lunyre

Jan 23, 2014
    alright thank you i'll make sure to do just that :)
    and thank you! this place is very helpful. I didnt know a community like this existed, its a pleasure.

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Please, please keep us posted. We like ducks, and the people who care for them, too. [​IMG]

10. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG] I have gotten brewer's yeast from local health food stores. Best of luck with your duckling and please do keep us posted! We like to see photos too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by