Weak Legs

DollyWolly

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2015
One of my hens has exhibited episodes of leg weakness and a dropped wing. This has happened three times in the past few weeks. It was so bad that I thought that we were going to have to put her down. We gave her some Poultry Nutri-Drench last night and within minutes she had perked up and was able to drink some water and eat some pellets. She appears to be in decent shape today. Does anyone have any ideas what would cause the extreme leg weakness, dropped wing and inability to move?

Usually that is a sign of Mareks, but it doesn't come and go several times. In rare cases there can be spontaneous recovery, only to become ill later, usually with tumors. Is she being kept from water or food by the other birds, and are you feeding a balanced layer feed for 90% of their diet? Is she low in pecking order? Vitamin deficiencies, dehydration, moldy feed, and chemicals and lead poisoning may cause symptoms similar to Mareks. How old is she? I would add poultry vitamins to her water, and make sure that she is eating well. Placing extra water bowls and feeders can make it easier for all to get plenty.

Thank you for the interesting information. The hen is 7 months old. She is not low on the pecking order, nor is she being kept from food/water by the other hens. I have added Sav-A-Chick Electrolyte to their water. The next batch of fresh water will have poultry vitamins added to it.

Back
Top Bottom