weak legs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 7m4cnxax, Dec 2, 2009.

1. 7m4cnxax

7m4cnxax New Egg

Dec 2, 2009
    PLEASE help me if you can. One by one I am losing my Pekin flock. A duck acts as though its legs are too weak to hold him. He/she doesn't stand up, but scoots around if he/she has to move. Within a week, the duck is dead. I am wondering if the feed I am giving them is the culprit. We grind 3000 lbs corn with 800 lbs wheat and use it as a general feed for chickens, geese, pigeons, ducks, etc. The ducks seem to be the only ones with the problem. Thanks in advance.

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I have one Pekin duck female. I feed them about the same thing as you and so far there hasn't been any problem with her. I have a Pekin a Rouen and 3 Moskovies. but one of my Moskovies is having simalar problems I think. He seems not to be able to stand up and he kinda crawls around. He's been like this for a few weeks, I do hope he doesn't die! I dont know very much about ducks yet, but corn in very fattening so he/she may be overwieght and be having trouble getting around. I only feed corn in the winter so that its easier for them to withstand the cold. (I live by Winnipeg MB, and -30 without the windchill is not uncommon) Hope this helps!

3. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Quote:No vitamins and minerals other than what they get from the corn and wheat? If so, they may have severe vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Furthermore, your protein content is too low for ducks. They need around 16%.

Is your feed moldy? That could result in avian botulism.

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Do your ducks get to forage also? They need more than just corn & wheat to get the protien and nutrients they need. If they don't get to forage then you need to supplement their diet with a good duck/poultry chow. Get those ducks some meat & peas... Seriously! Meat for a quick protien boost and peas are chock full of vitamins etc. & it doesn't hurt that ducks love them both.
    If they DO get to forage then I would take a close look at your grain to make sure it isn't moldy or that your ducks haven't gotten into something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by