Weak Lethargic Hen, Already Wormed, Won't Eat or Drink, Still Going Downhill Fast, Ideas???

nancypo

Songster
11 Years
Mar 26, 2010
Boise
My Coop
My Coop
I have my fave 5 year old hen, who recently became very weak and lethargic. She's retired and not laying anymore. I brought her inside, and let her rest, and she had worms. She also had really green discharge/poo (bile from what I've read). I treated her for worms (Wazine), gave her soft foods, no response. She went from having long worms (round?) to short little ones. She's really pale, not eating or drinking much. I've given her probiotics, soft foods, keeping her inside where it's quiet and warm. She ate quite a bit of applesauce yesterday, about 1/8 of a cup. Nothing today. She looks really dehydrated. Should I worm her again, a stronger dose? I REALLY don't want to lose her as she's such a great sweetie and hen. I don't know if there's some other underlying cause....

ArtGirl

Chicken crazy
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
With chickens somewhere.......
I would take a syringe and try to make her drink. How long has she gone without you noticing the worms? If she went for to long her body would be very weak from the worms eating her and she would have a hard time recovering but there is still a good chance.
smile.png

If they seem to be multiplying I would try more medication but not too much especially with how small chickens are
roll.png

nancypo

Songster
11 Years
Mar 26, 2010
Boise
My Coop
My Coop
I've been doing that for days. I did a couple of rounds of worming. I think, at this point, there's an underlying condition. She's on her way out sadly... I'm just keeping her comfortable...

ArtGirl

Chicken crazy
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
With chickens somewhere.......
I'm sorry
hugs.gif
. We recently had chick (Peanut) that didn't make it and I know that it's sad to see them go after trying so hard. Especially when it's one that you really like
hit.gif
. Normally chickens have a pretty small chance of getting worms. I wonder if there was something in the pen that had the worms on it that she ate or something
hmm.png
? We had a hen that had a tumor and we didn't know till it was to late but that can take a healthy chicken down hill in less than a week.

Top Bottom