weak/lethargic pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimb, Nov 14, 2010.

1. kimb

kimb Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I have a SL LF Cochin Pullet - came from a hatchery (I assume) as she was "sexed" and got her with 3 other "sisters" one of which is a beautiful Rooster! [​IMG] ... their about 5 months old.

about a month ago - she started acting strange, didn't want to move around much, came out of the coop and would go over and hang out under the lilac tree instead of going out across the yard to scavenge with the others...

So I separated her into the chicken ICU - quiet, darker place for her to rest and not be picked on.

It took about a 1.5 weeks until she really came around to her perky self - and wanted OUT ... she was eating well again and a drinking - but I had to bring the water right to her beak and really encourage her to drink and she'd take a few sips - I added sulmet to her water for the week per directions and once she was active and eating - I let her back out with everyone. She hasn't been as "heavy" as the other since. but she had been "normally active".

Friday Day - I saw one of the boys chase her pretty far across the yard... but no further than they have normally adventured...

That night she didn't come in to the coop so I went out hunting for her- found her "resting" under the brush pile as if that's the place she choose to sleep...

So I brought her in and placed her alone again... figuring maybe she just needed some good quite rest.

Saturday I went to put her outside and she tried to ruffle and itch herself and she fell right over!

So again - she's back in ICU ... but I don't know what she has...

The info

breed: LF Cochin
    sex: Pullet
    living: free range, and come into their coop at night
    feed: fresh water daily, poulin layer crumbles and a few handfuls of scratch every now and again scattered in the yard (for 30+ chickens)
    symptoms: lethargic, off balanced, weak, doesn't want to eat or drink, empty crop, yesterday there was green poo, today really white and pasty (assuming because she hasn't eaten much)

Treatment

I've offered her just plain water for the time, scrambled eggs with a bit of olive oil and crumbles

any clue what it is and what to do/offer her?

2. diannmoe

diannmoe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2009
    Mount Carmel
    I have a little Serama doing the same, don't think she is going to make it. Please someone help?
    Thank you

3. kimb

kimb Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    bump ?? [​IMG]

4. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Worms? Might be something to considder, I have seen it before from fairly young chickens that were failing to thrive. Get poop sampled for worms or worm as a precaution. It is best to get it sampled first as there is some risk in worming a weak bird if worms arn't the problem.

Could be some nutritional defficiency, possible linked to worms or else from dammage done from possible cocci before the Sulmet. Maybe add some vitamins to the diet.

Check for mites too just to rule that out. Other than that I can't think of much else but to keep up the TLC and monitor weight and progress.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by