1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weak neck in Orpington pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lklebesadel, Apr 20, 2017.

1. lklebesadel

lklebesadel New Egg

Apr 20, 2017
    I have a 9wk old Orpington pullet who was noted last evening to hardly be able to hold her head up. She is not eating or drinking except with assistance. I had her seen by a veterinarian today and she could not determine cause of weakness. She also noted that swallow reflex seems diminished. Only other symptom is loose stool but veterinarian was not concerned about that because she said it was indicative of lack of solid food intake. Unfortunately, I lost an Orpington pullet one month ago to the same symptoms. Has anyone seen these symptoms before? Any treatment, if so?[​IMG]

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
  3. lklebesadel

lklebesadel New Egg

Apr 20, 2017
    Her head is not normally twisted. When you are holding her, it is straight down. When she sits, it just flops over like in picture.

4. lklebesadel

lklebesadel New Egg

Apr 20, 2017
    Good news this am -- my chick seems to be recovering nicely. I forgot to mention that the vet gave her a shot of Meloxicam . I am not sure if med is what turned her around, but I am very glad she is holding her head up normally and eating now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by