Weak newly hatched duckling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tonini3059, Apr 9, 2009.

1. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    My duck hatched around 8:30 this morning. I will admit I helped it out because it pipped the day before and was making no progress, it is a call duck which usually have some issues. The yolk was fully absorbed. It was doing fine once I helped it hatch, but it is gradually getting weaker and weaker it can barely lift it head now. It still pushes itself around the bottom of the incubator though. I have been making it drink water with sugar and probiotics mixed in it. Any other suggestions?

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I don't have anything to add other than support! Come on little duckie! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    It made it!! It is up and running...well stumbling around with the other duck and turkeys.

4. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Duckies seem to take longer to get their land legs - the ones I've hatched usually sleep awhile after hatching, and don't move much for that time. (I've only hatched call ducks so far).

I don't worry much unless it is more than 36 hours without them trying to get around - usually by then mine have been up and scooting pretty well.

I am wondering if it isn't because their legs are set further back on the bodies.... hmmm.....

Glad yer ducky is doing well [​IMG] I love call duck babies - they are so tiny [​IMG]

meri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by