Weak Non-Thriving Hen...HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EmsChooks, Sep 11, 2010.

1. EmsChooks

EmsChooks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    England, Uk
    [​IMG]

This is my lovely little girl Jemima - a black copper maran, unfortunately she is not thriving and I have no idea what is wrong and how to help her, hopefully someone can advise me.

She is 7 months old and is still the same size as she was at 16 weeks, she is as light as a feather and has no meat on her bones, a gust of wind blew her over the other day and my other girls didnt even move! She stumbles when I stroke her but walks fine otherwise. She is very very friendly though and hovers around my feet but seemily doesn't interact with the other chickens and they don't worry with her either, she is not bullied. She doesn't act very chicken like, she's slow unless you throw food to them and just bumbles around really slowly and like to scratch for food or stands still sleeping. She eats so well and tucks in to what ever she can and drinks and poops normally although her little black bottom always looks like it has a whitish mess on her feathers.
    She has never laid and I'm not really expecting her to as she has never developed much of a comb and what she does have is black and small, not sure if this is because she is a black chicken?
    I dunno she just doesnt act like a chicken, she is depressed looking and slow and small and puffed up and hungry but she hasn't worsened at all since we got her in June we call her a crow in disguise!
    I have wormed her twice, treated her for mites and lice as I did notice that they all had some a while back and I regularly diatom them, she is on 16% layers pellets plus a few treats, the others are fine but she is not.
    Has any of this struck a chord with anyone and if so what can I do? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Don't know, but I have one just like that - I have tried everything, and she just keeps to herself and weighs next to nothing. Poor lonely little thing

3. EmsChooks

EmsChooks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    England, Uk
    [​IMG] Oh no, so she may just always be like this? Does your little one lay eggs at all?

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Not yet, I thought maybe she was moulting, but no, just keeps to herself

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by