1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weak one month old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jwainscott1, May 24, 2016.

1. jwainscott1

jwainscott1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2016
    Came home earlier and my one month old chick is very weak. I have him tucked in my shirt, given a little pedialite and raw egg. Any other suggestions?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Scrambled egg over raw egg.

Is its poop normal? Is it eating/drinking on its own? No pasty butt? Medicated feed or non medicated?

You might try either Save-A-Chick (electrolytes) and/or VetRX for poultry - both should be at most Tractor Supply type farm stores...

3. jwainscott1

Mar 28, 2016
    Pooped normal, non medicated chick start feed, I use the savAchick in the water all the time, he has eaten a little bit on his own today, still weak though

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Normal poop is good! No evidence of blood in any droppings (coccidia is what always pops into my head when I think of sick chicks...as well as pasty butt for the tinies). And if he/she is eating a bit - that's good too!!

Knock on wood, but in seven years I've only lost one chick, and I have no idea why it died (was dead when I found it after being active and happy just hours earlier). So my knowledge of sick chicks is very limited.

Do you just have a few chicks, or many? I'm wondering whether it could have gotten run over by rougher youngsters? If I was in your shoes, I'd probably just baby it for a day or so (scrambled egg, electrolytes) and keep an eye on it. If others are rough housing quite a bit, then I'd either separate the weak one, or put a wire divider in the brooder so it could see the others, but not be involved in the running/jumping, etc. I do keep VetRX on hand here, so I would also give a bit of that.

I hope your chick pulls out of whatever is ailing it...

5. jwainscott1

Mar 28, 2016
    He was by himself, only one that hatched, but they were eggs that were in the fridge for almost two weeks lol. I have one that hatched Saturday he is cuddling with it now.

6. jwainscott1

Mar 28, 2016
    I kept him in my shirt most of the night and gave him the egg and pedialite mixture every half hour to hour. Then he ate a little on his own. Crossing my fingers. He is my first hatch.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Since he is the only one that hatched, there may have been incubation problems that made him more prone to a problem that is only just now showing up. The most helpful tool I keep in my "tool box" is Poultry Nutri-Drench. You can give it straight, and it bypasses the digestive system, shoots directly to the blood stream. Some chicks simply fail to thrive and die for unexplained reasons. An other thing to do is check your heat. At 4 weeks he should be off heat all together, or pretty close to being so.

8. jwainscott1

Mar 28, 2016
    I will have to get some of that. A few just weren't fertile and a other 2 didn't develop. He was off heat completely, just under heat this afternoon.

9. jwainscott1

Mar 28, 2016
    Lost my baby today :'(

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Sorry. I feared that would be the outcome. I had to cull a few chicks from my last hatch. shipped eggs, and incubation error.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by