Weak Pekin Duckling - super worried mom

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SamDuck24, Jan 13, 2017.

1. SamDuck24

SamDuck24 Just Hatched

Jan 13, 2017
    Hi everyone, new here.

Here is my concern: My baby pippin is only 5 days old, he (she?) was fine yesterday, walking around, swimming and eating and happy and I noticed today he couldn't walk and would fall over. His legs are very weak so I have noticed I am not providing enough niacin. So I have put the correct amount (a special avian supplement with all good nutrients) in his duckling feed and water and I am really just wandering how long it will take for pippin to recover. I'm so worried :( some advice would be hugely appreciated.

Long story: Pippin was found on a cruel man's farm very close to death. His mom was uninterested and left him in a puddle of water and was freezing cold. When found I put him close to my body and rushed to a vet where I was told nothing could be done. I insisted on an electrolyte mix and noticed pippin started chirping, which was a good sign. After giving the mix he started perking up and drinking water and eating crushed dog food with water ( was all I had at the time) next day he started eating a lot and loved the food but I put him on a duckling feed ( wasn't impressed but ate anyways)
    I kept him warm and snug and constantly kept everything dry and clean. He's been swimming and walking around and chirping but today (which hes now 5 days old) he's not walking, when I put him in warm water to swim he was happy and active and eating the feed I sprinkled on the water. But I am so worried. I have just started the supplement and hopefully he's better-ish by tomorrow. I feel so bad for the baby. All his siblings have died because of neglect (reporting this person as soon as possible)

I sprinkle the food in the supplement mix for him to eat when he is hungry and he stops when he's done. Swims each day in enough water to stretch his legs and is constantly supervised and looked after.

Am I doing enough? Any advice would really help! Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  2. SamDuck24

SamDuck24 Just Hatched

Jan 13, 2017
    Oh! I've also been feeding him koi pellets. The extra extra small ones. Person at the shop said it would be fine but I'm not sure. I only give it to him when they're soggy so it's easy to swallow. He goes MAD for them. Are they okay as a treat?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  3. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by