Weak Poult - Pics and Movie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Stacykins, May 15, 2011.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I have a turkey poult that just hatched this past Friday who isn't as robust as the others. While the other poults are now going strong, able to walk, run, and balance without issues, this one can barely walk. Its legs are not spraddled, and are set the same way as the others. It has a very unsteady, shuffling walk and falls over often. I believe it is rather lethargic too, since it sleeps more often than the other chicks, and the wings droop slightly. There is no sign of nasal discharge or wheezing, to indicate a respiratory issue.

In addition, it holds its head very strangely. Very stretched out and horizontal. I took a few pictures demonstrating this, and also a few comparing a chick that has eaten normally. The poults and chicken chicks that hatched Thursday and Friday are all in the same brooder. The temperature is good, since they are all nicely scattered and not huddled under the light or far from it (I have two brooders, one with an ecoglow and one with a heat lamp, this poult is in the one with the heat lamp). I have observed it both eating and drinking, it is actually doing so as I type. This chick is not vocal at all.

How the chick stands and walks normally. Very unlike the other poults. The poop also looks normal (as you can see by the present left right before I took the picture!).
    [​IMG]

Normal acting poult, head held close to body
    [​IMG]

I did have to help one poult hatch. I don't remember if it was this one; however. It would make sense. Is there anything I can do, or should I hope for the best? The other chicks are not picking on this one, so I'd rather not stress it out by removing it to be solo. The brooder is on my computer desk, so I have an eye on it regularly, and can see when it is eating, drinking, sleeping, or walking. Could it just be less robust than the others?

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    It is possible. As long as it is eating, drinking & pooping normally, I would just keep an eye on it for now.
    If it seems to get any worse, try some Poly-vis-ol from Enfamil infant vitamins, no iron formula. One drop a day for 4 or 5 days.
    Good luck.

3. Stacykins

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Looks like I am going to have to get some Poly-vis-ol today. Yesterday the poult could hold its head level with its body, now it is so weak that the beak touches the ground. Its fluff isn't as neat as the other chicks, they groom themselves quite a bit, I don't think the poult has energy to do that.

4. Celtic Chick

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    I'm so sorry. I hate to say it, but you might lose this one. If he is eating & drinking & is still going downhill, I don't know what else to do with him, other than Poly-vis-ol, or maybe a vitamin/electrolyte solution in the water like Sav-A-Chik. I don't have any experience with turkeys. [​IMG]
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he'll pull thriugh for you. [​IMG]

5. Stacykins

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    [​IMG]

Movie of the poult ^

I moved it to a hospital brooder i.e. big tank with a pair of chicken chicks and a healthy poult for companionship. It ate some crumbled hardboiled egg yolk today with the others.

6. Celtic Chick

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Very good idea to isolate him. I am glad he is eating. That may help him regain some strength.
    Like I said, I have no idea about turkeys, but I do know that when chickens are sick, I supplement their diet by feeding them some foods that are high in vitamins A, K & E , especially vit. A. She might have a nutrient deficiency, and vitamin A is one of the most important vitamins for a chickens overall health.
    Some foods high in vit. A are: broccoli, butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, mangoes & tomato juice. Spinach, peppers & alfalfa leaves for K, and sweet potatoes & broccoli for E, which helps boost the immune system.
    If you have any of these veggies, boil them up until they are soft & chop them into bite-size pieces or mash them with a fork.
    Protein is also good for sick ones, and cooked egg yolk is an excellent source. Good thinking.
    Good luck and please continue to keep us informed on her progress. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by