Weak/Sick baby

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by basicliving, May 20, 2008.

1. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I got my chicks from McMurrays. They were born Sat. and I received them yesterday (Monday). I lost one last night and this morning another is looking very weak. She is wobbly on her legs and gets bowled over by the others when they run past her. I found her on her side earlier and she was struggling to get up. She's also very tiny. A few minutes ago I put her in a little cardboard box with her own water and food (mixed water with a little sugar - and even added that to the feed to made a mush for her). I put the box under the heat lamp in the brooder. She's a silver leghorn as best I can tell.

Am I doing ok by separating her from the others and putting her in her own box? Is there anything else I can do to help her? I think (hope) it's just the stress of the shipping that's the problem. She doesn't seem to breathe funny or anything else. Just seems very weak and is easily knocked over by the others. Any advice would really be appreciated.

ETA: I have a thermometer in the brooder - it is right at 95 degrees.

Thanks,
    Penny

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  2. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, you are doing the right thing keeping her separated. However, they do like company if you could pick out another chick that's mild mannered to put with her that would be nice for her too. She will probably be okay with a day or so of peace and quiet sometime to get her strength.

3. basicliving

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Thanks, Julie. I put 2 of the calmer ones in there with her. I really hope she'll be ok. When I found the little dead one this morning I bawled like a baby. I guess I should expect that not all will make it, but it really breaks my heart to lose them. I hope this one pulls through.

Penny

4. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I have been more then lucky with my hatches. I have hatched 69 chicks so far this season and not ONE died. Shipping can be so traumatic. Looking forward to updates

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she drinking the sugar water? Try wiggling your finger in it and letting her drink from the tip. You might also use a little dropper or needleless syringe to persuade her.

6. basicliving

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Well, as it turns out, one of the "calmer" ones wasn't doing so hot either. I have both the weaker ones in the little cardboard box now. I put another healthy one in there to keep them company and maybe warmer, but she managed to jump out of it and join the others - and the box is twice as all as she is! The two weak ones are sleeping a lot. I hope they'll be ok. But I don't know. The rest of the chicks are running around like crazy. They seem just fine. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks,
    Penny

7. basicliving

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Quote:I can't get them to drink the sugar water. I put some on their beaks, but I'm not sure it's enough to keep them going. I have a needleless syringe and a dropper - should I just put a small dab on their beaks and do that a few times?

8. basicliving

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Julie - that is a serious good record there! 69 chicks and all still alive! Fantastic. How old are they now?

9. basicliving

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I just fed the babies with some sugar water in a syringe. The little silver leghorn was about to thirst to death! She took at least 2 CCs and then lost interest. The little golden penciled hamburg had no interest at all. I got a few drops in her, but mostly it just rolled down her beak onto her chest. When I put them back in the box, the leghorn was standing up (wobbly), but the hamburg layed down right away. I hope they make it - I guess time will tell.

Thanks for the tip about the syringe. For some reason, it never occurred to me. I'll try it again in another couple of hours.

ETA: I also tried to re-introduce them to their water dish and food dish, but they took no interest. *sigh*

Penny

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    [​IMG] Good luck with them...you are doing everything you can. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by