Weak, sleepy, panting chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ksanders71, May 6, 2011.

1. ksanders71

ksanders71 New Egg

Nov 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Hi all,
    I went out to check on the chickens this morning and one of my 5, one year olds is sick. She is a white leghorn, a year old and I didn't notice that anything was wrong yesterday. Today I let them out to free range and gave them come organic lettuce as a treat but that one girl came out of the coop and just layed down. She will stand if prodded but then quickly lays back down. She is mostly keeping her eyes closed and she is intermittently panting (It's not that hot out here in AZ this morning). She layed an egg this morning. I haven't seen her poop and can't see any poop in the coop that looks odd. I have changed nothing else. No new food or anything. When they were new babies a year ago we had six but one of them started this exact senario and she died within the day. Can anyone tell me a guess of what is going on? I need to separate her from the others, right? Additionally we just bought 12 more chicks who are about a month old. They are outside now too but the two groups are not yet together, thank god. I am new to this so I am hoping someone here can give me some direction.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me.
    Kim

2. britsngrits

britsngrits Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    WV
    I'm so sorry nobody has responded to you yet! Sometimes it gets so crazy seems posts get burried very fast. Is it possible the hen has a respitory issue? Labored breathing can cause weakness. Do you have an antibiotic you can give for the time being? Also, if nobody on here can help out... you can always try Dr. Brown at First State Vet Supply.. just google him. He charges a small consultation fee and if you wind up buying something like meds the fee gets waived basically... I wish you and your hen good luck!

3. ksanders71

ksanders71 New Egg

Nov 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. Oddly, this evening she seems maybe 70% better. This makes the whole situation even more puzzling. I hope she is going to be ok but if she isn't I will check into Dr. Brown. This morning I was convinced that she would be dead by the end of the day and now I am hopeful. I have so much to learn about chickens. I guess I need to spend more time on this forum.

Thanks again!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    At one year the first two things I often think of are worms and lice/mites. For worms you can see if your vet will do a fecal, or just worm them. I prefer Valbazen, or Eprinex if they have any lice/mites.

Or it might just be something she ate! Or something like a minor injury or even fright.

5. ksanders71

ksanders71 New Egg

Nov 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Fright?! Seriously? Wow. That give the phrase "are you chicken?" new meaning for me. Thanks for responding.
    She is fine now. I am relieved and surprised. I was so sure she was within hours of death. Weird. I have so much to learn.
    Thanks again to all that responded.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by