1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weak TSC chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JDchicks, Feb 14, 2013.

1. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    One of the chicks I got from TSC today, appears weak..stumbles and just lays there.

The chicks were due in on Monday, But they were just delivered today (3 days late).

I have given her electrolyte water. But I am not sure how much or how often to feed her.

Just recently, she tried the plain water and will peek at the feed if I put some in front of her but not really eat it. She will drink the electrolyte water from an eye dropper with no problem, almost greedily.

Is there anything else I can do for her?

2. msalter521

msalter521 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    I got my chicks from TSC and one of them has a scab or something on it's bottom. She eats good moves around good should i be worried about this[​IMG]?

3. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    You sure that isn't pasty butt?

4. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Jdchicks- did u dip the beak in the water? Some are more stubborn than others on learning where the water is. Greedy with the dropper sounds like it would drink okay but may not know where the water is. U may have to continually show it for a few days. Hope it's doing good today!

5. JDchicks

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    So sad!

I did show her, Baby, where the water was, but she wouldn't drink.

I continued to try the dropper...she just kept getting weaker. Even try some sugar water, she didn't perk up.

She started laying on her side with labored breathing.

Unfortunately, she just passed away.

I have had eggs not develop, but this is my first chick/chicken that I lost. Very sad. Still feel like I didn't do enough.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  6. kalson

kalson Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Spring, TX
    It sounds like you did all you could. I had the same thing happen to me with one chick from TSC last night. I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

7. msalter521

msalter521 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013

I've wiped with a baby wrote and it is on the underside between her feet not up a little where her poop shoot is lol

8. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

that's a scab from where the chick absorbed the yolk.. just leave it alone and it will fall off in a few days

9. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I'm so sorry. [​IMG] It seems to be a trend today. I've lost 8 so far today. It's sad but you get used to it. I know that may sound harsh, but it's true. You reach a point where you've lost so many that you're just kinda numb to it. It's a part of raising any animal. You win some and you lose some. I've lost count of how many I've lost. I had to cull my very first one today. Usually they die on their own or I have my dad do it. This one was suffering and my dad was no where near home, so I did it. Then sobbed my eyeballs out. It's not really something most people will ever be okay with, just something they accept will happen. I'm sure you did the very best you could. You can't save 'em all. *giant hugs from Texas*

10. JDchicks

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    Thank you . I'm sorry for your lose too.

I noticed that they are observing the brooder like hawks. Didn't know they had such a high loss rate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by