Weak, underweight and drowsy pullet, help needed!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rh18, Jan 26, 2014.

1. rh18

rh18 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    I bought this pullet about a week ago.

[​IMG]

She eats and drinks normally but she is underweight and drowsy. Sleeps most of the time, even in day.
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    I'm not sure about age and breed. She is light in weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    She eats and drinks fine. But she is inactive mostly and sleeps a lot.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    I bought her a week ago.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    She is quarantined.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    She may not be fed properly before I bought her.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    Chicken feed, scratch and ACV in her water.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    I'm not sure if there is intestinal lining or blood in her poops daily. This was one of her abnormal poops.

[​IMG]

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    I'm giving ACV in her water and multivitamin syrup daily to boost her immunity.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    I want to treat her myself and without many medicines, if possible. As I don't want to weaken her immune system more than it is now.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    She sleeps like this mostly even when she is in the house.
    [​IMG]

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
    She is in a wire cage but she walks freely in the house for about half the day.

What should I do? Specially regarding her poops: What should I do if there is intestinal lining in her poops everyday. Does anyone have any idea about her drowsiness and weakness? Any help will be appreciated.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Weaknss and thinness are often signs of worms, Coccidiosis, or an intestinal infection. I would get a broad-spectrum womer like Valbazen or SafeGuard (sold for goats) and worm her. Getting some Corid (9.6% liquid or 20% powder) for Coccidiosis might not be a bad idea, either, but it is up to you. I would try the worming and Corid first and see what happens, and then think about purchasing an antibiotic like Tylan50 in case it is an infection. Other than that, there isn't much you can do. I would keep giving vitamins, try to minimize stressing her out, and make sure she keeps eating.

The only other thing I can think of is that she might have Marek's Disease. That can cause weight loss and other problems in young chickens, which are similar to symptoms of other diseases. Or it is possible that she is simply weak and underweight from before you got her, and will recover on her own if given good care.

3. rh18

rh18 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    Just about a minute ago I managed to take a pic of her poop which she does 3 to 4 time a day[​IMG][​IMG]

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That poop looks like it has way too much mucus in it, but I'm not sure what that could mean. Bacterial or fungal infection? Coccidiosis? Worms?

-Kathy

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She looks like a young easter egger pullet. I would treat her for coccidiosis. Her poops have some suspicious-looking orange in there, and just by changing to your property, she will be exposed to the coccidia strain in your lawn. Has she been outside yet? I would make sure she has had contact with your soil, but also you should start some amprollium or Corid powder 1 1/2 teaspoonsful per gallon of water (or 2 tsp of the liquid Corid) for 5 days. It is a thiamine inhibitor, not a strong chemical or antibiotic. It will not harm her, but I would recommend treating all of your chickens since this is contagious. After treatment I would recommend vitamins and probiotics for a week. Coccidiosis and worms can damage the intestines if not treated, making them vulnerable to other infections and decreasing their weight and egg laying in the future. Here is what it looks like: http://www.jefferspet.com/product.a...ock~Livestock+-+Cattle&crsource=adwords&crkw=

6. rh18

rh18 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    This is what she pooped today, other than this one, her poops were normal today.
    [​IMG]

Can anybody tell me what is this? Intestinal lining or something else?

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That looks like some blood in that stool to me, so I would be starting the Corid (amprollium) if I were you.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2, I agree, it does look like blood and there is no reason I can think of not to treat with Corid.

-Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'd probably also worm with something like Safeguard at 50mg/kg (.5ml per 2.2 pounds) and repeat in 10 days.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by