Weak Yolks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mesquite, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Mesquite

Mesquite Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Roosevelt TX
    I have been extremely lucky so far out of the 50 chicks I got lost 2. One to a rattlesnake and one that was bitten by something and the bite got infected and I finally had to dispatch her. I have been getting plenty of eggs but lately, the yolks have been so weak that they break when I crack then into a pan or a bowl. Is there a missing mineral or something that they need. The shells are ok, I have oystershell that I mix a little in with their feed. They run free all day so they should be getting bugs. What could it be? Thank you for any ideas.

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Are they new layers? Is the weather hot? I tried to find what can cause a weak egg yolk, but there are a few things that can cause it. Im not sure they would be missing anything nutritional if they have feed and free-range.

3. Mesquite

Mesquite Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Roosevelt TX
    The weather has been pretty hot.

4. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

It's probably the heat, they really don't do well in it. Mine just stop laying when it gets too hot now (they're two years old). This week is supposed to be in the 90's, so I know production will go way down [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by