weaker chick? advice needed!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by asteria01, Mar 13, 2015.

1. asteria01

asteria01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2015
    CA
    hi, I have a black ameraucana chick that is roughly 5 days old that is a bit smaller than the others. I did just pick her up from the seller yesterday along with a silver laced wyandotte thats doing great.

I have noticed that she seems to eat less than the others, preferring to sleep instead. her stance also seems a bit more wobbly than the others. i keep seeing her getting pushed around by the other ones when trying to eat. I think she tries to eat, but since the others are more pushy she eventually gives up. shes a quiet baby, would hate to lose her! [​IMG] but what has me most concerned that is shes a very sleepy chick! I see her in front of the food and she just stands there.... and stares at it, without really pecking like a hungry chick. she will peck at it a few times but i doubt she really ate any of it. any advice as to what do?

other than that, she looks like a healthy chick, she preens herself like crazy, definitely likes to keep clean!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    She may just be a runty chick that is easily bullied by the others. Add an extra feed and water station so she has chance to get some food before she is bullied out. I've had to do this with runty ones before. Hopefully the others won't be able to patrol more than one feed/waterer. Have you added some save a chick to the water, a bit of a boost wouldn't harm her. Try to encourage her to eat more too by tapping the food so she will investigate it. Also if she is smaller than the others she may need the food crushing some more to make it finer and easier for her to eat. Have you checked her crop to see if the food is in there?

Good luck with her :fl

Keep us posted.

3. asteria01

Jan 2, 2015
    CA
    Thanks Yorkshire coop!

no i havent added save a chick to the water, and i just checked her crop. doesnt really feel like theres anything there, but i tried checking the other ones who have been eating and didnt actually really feel too much of a difference. maybe im not feeling the right place? I know where it is... on a naked chick lol. instead of picking at food i actually see her picking at bedding or other chick feathers instead. shes not so small that she cant pick up the crumbles. my oegb is way smaller than her and she picks up the food just fine.

ill check on her again tomorrow and try to add another food/water dispenser.

4. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    If possible, I'd recommend isolating her and one other chick (preferably a small, docile one) and providing them with their own food and water container for a couple of days. Put paper towels down on the flooring to ensure they're only eating the chick feed, which should be crushed as even the crumbles are pretty large for some chicks.
    If your brooder is large enough, this can be done by adding a smaller cardboard box within the brooder, making sure it's tall enough that other chicks can't hop or fly into it. Alternatively, I've secured cardboard walls within brooders using duct tape or packing tape. When she's a bit stronger and larger, she and her buddy can be integrated back into the larger group of chicks.

5. asteria01

Jan 2, 2015
    CA
    Thanks everyone, she seems to have perked up! i see her scratching the floor and picking at food now. shes also more active too! maybe she was just stressed yesterday, since it was only her second day here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by