"weaning" chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cactus-hen, Nov 15, 2009.

1. cactus-hen

cactus-hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    At what age should a hen "wean" her chicks? Wilma's two chicks were hatched on 9/20. She no longer protects them from other chickens, calls to them to stay with her or calls them to food. She doesn't chase them away, but behaves toward them like any other chicken. She does still let them sleep under her wings at night. I'm concerned because I have a cockerel that chases one of the chicks. There are places to hide but he pulls out feathers if he catches the chick out in the open. Should I separate the chicks at this late date?

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I've had hens that weaned their chicks as early as 4 weeks, and hens that allowed their "chicks" to stay with them until they were several months old. So I think it just depends on the hen.

If I were you, I wouldn't separate the chicks, I would separate the offending cockerel. Maybe a week in solitary confinement would knock him down a peg or two. That's just me, though. I don't have much patience for naughty cockerels!

Can't wait to see what other people say....

[​IMG]

3. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with lauralou. If the rest of the flock behaves around the chicks, just take the offender away. You don't want to have integration problems for the young chicks later. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by