1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Weaning" my chickies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stormhorse23, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I've posted about this before, but now I need to know exactly how. It's obvious it isn't the chick who wants to be in a warm spot (GOOD advice, thought). My older chicken, Sestar thinks her bro Dustin is her baby. She is so docile away from him but if they can hear each other, she'll freak out and scream for him. He screams for her and runs from the coop to the pen and everything trying to find her. He was sopposed to go her his new home a few days ago, but I'm just not sure anymore. I will be getting some frizzle chicks soon so its not like Sestar will be alone. I have 10 other chicks in with her currently but she hates them and bites the heck out of em. They will be leaving with Dustin, as well. How can I 'wean' them from each other. Its heartbreaking to think this duo will ever be apart. I just can't keep them all

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

They're a bonded pair so it won't be easy for either of them or you. Is there any way to keep just Dustin and Sestar?

3. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    based on dustys behavior, i think hes a roo. its terrible. Sestar is his sis and i think we all know what roos do! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by