weaning myself from Black Friday shopping

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kareninthesun, Nov 26, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    this was difficult...always done it and saved lots of money. started a tradition which caught on like wildfire: we wear our silliest pajamas,robes and slippers, load up on coffee and shop until we finish. started off with five of us, me in a.grown up equivelent of sleeper footed zip up jammies. we got lots of laughs, but many said they were going to do the same. second year it caught on to the point where we were sharing stories while standing in long lines with strangers. Third year, about 1/4 of the shoppers from young kids to grandparents were in on it. one store said they quickly sold out of everything adult sized that looked like one peice pjs. they even came up with lighter weight materials with cheerful Christmas accessories loke reindeer feet which jingle and extra tread protection on the soles. sold out...

if you gotta shop, why not do so with the best of what you can pull up to keep the stress at a minimum?

anyway, to test myself, I chose to step back this year, and instead woke up about every hour feeling like a little kid whom was left out of a party. Methinks this shows I need weaning, or feel like I am missing out of real sales?

2. Clay Mudd

Clay Mudd Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    South MS swamps
    Well, you missed out on getting peppersprayed and shot, too. [​IMG]

I've thought for a long time that BF sales are just a way to get people would up and overenthusiastic about shopping.

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I stayed in bed, and shopped on the internet.
    No stress here.
    YET!

4. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Quote:And the truly unbelievable part with the pepper sprayer was that this lady had her three children with her and even sprayed other kids!

5. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Sounds like you had a fun tradition going. Too many people get crazy though. Sadly, the the pepper spray wasn't as bad as the year or so before when someone was trampled (Wal Mart again, I think).

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Well I know the feeling... this year I was too busy with my little business shop sales to go shop sales!

Which feels nice to not be so stressed about money or time this year. We're already decorating and I feel pretty good about it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by