Weaning off the heat lamp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FrankDegamma, Sep 15, 2011.

1. FrankDegamma

FrankDegamma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    Chicks are 4.5 weeks old...under heat lamp still in coop. See below. I had 2 250w going, now 1 and put it over the roost so they could find the right height/temp. Most use the roost and are sleepin on it, some not. At what point can I totally eliminate the heat? We are getting cold front now in PA and nighttime will be 40 with 60 degree days. Prolly be like that til mid october or so.... how do I wean em off the light so they are ready for winter? I know they get kicked outta nest at 5 weeks and should be good....though just wondered how I wean em with 40 degree nights.
    Here is set up cuirrently....they are happy birds so far and want out of the coop and run to the door when I open it to come in....
    [​IMG]

2. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I recommend lowering wattage, go get 150 or 100 watt and use it briefly then work on dark at night. You'd be surprised how hardy the are. When I moved mine out this spring (April) it was still signif cool at night here in ohio, they did great! Looks like there are plenty of them to cuddle/huddle too. Great looking set up, they do look happy!

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Agree with lowering the wattage. Step them down. Winter is coming and they need to be hardened off and fully feathered for cold temps. It's too soon to shock them into it, but over the next few weeks, step them down to zero added heat. While temps drop through the 40's at night right now, they will face much rougher weather in the days to come, of course.

I find going from a couple 250watts down to one 250 watt or down to two 150 watt, then finally down to one 150watt gently weans them off the heat. By 7 weeks of age, this process has worked for me just fine. Suspect it would for your needs as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by