Weaning the chicks off the heat lamp/Light.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wilhiteranch, Jun 6, 2011.

1. wilhiteranch

wilhiteranch Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    Rocklin
    I turned off the lamp the other night to see what they would do and they freaked. They all ran to the other side of the brooder and chirped a weird chirp. They are 4 weeks old and my house stays about 73-74. WHen can I start to wean them so when they go out in the coop they are not scared of the dark [​IMG]

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I doubt they were afraid of the dark! Perhaps they were cold or startled by the change...I usually put the lamp in the coop for night, for awhile- but our nights are chilly.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I started taking the lamp away during the day. Mine freak at night too, but they settle down after a while.

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Total darkness would FREAK them out if they are used to 24/7 light. To help wean I alway switch to a 40 watt bulb or so in the brooder light. it seems to work pretty well.

5. jtr

jtr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Quote:agree i do that to other than i use a little red chirstmas tree light so its the same color. my 5 week olds are in a metal trough outside and it dips down to lower 50s at night still here so your 4 week olds will be fine in the house with out the light when its in the 70s or 60s

6. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I put a night light in the area that goes on automatically. Seemed to settle them down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by