Weaning them off the heat lamp!

4 Georgia Hens

Crowing
Jan 3, 2017
Northern Georgia
My chicks are going to be 4 weeks old on Friday. I do gradually raise the heat lamp every week, but I’m wondering how I can get them off of it soon! It is 50-80 degrees Fahrenheit here in GA. I’ve been noticing that they haven’t been sleeping under the spot that is directly underneath the lamp. They aren’t panting or avoiding the heat lamp, though. I’ve seen people get the chicks off of the heat at 4 wks old! Is that possible??
Thanks for any help!

My 4 chicks are 2 weeks old now.....so in another 2 weeks I can remove the mama heating pad? And then what, keep them inside another week (sans MHP) and then put them in their coop at 5 weeks? I am just trying to get a plan here bc I am a new chickie mama and I want to do it right. I live just outside of Philadelphia PA.
They don't need heat after 4 weeks. I had mine off heat by 4 weeks, moved them out to coop at 5 weeks w lows in the 30's and 40's and they did fine.

My 4 chicks are 2 weeks old now.....so in another 2 weeks I can remove the mama heating pad? And then what, keep them inside another week (sans MHP) and then put them in their coop at 5 weeks? I am just trying to get a plan here bc I am a new chickie mama and I want to do it right. I live just outside of Philadelphia PA.
What is usually done is to lower the temp gradually. This accelerates feather growth. Your chicks will help you decide when they are ready. Play it by ear. They are going to get big and messy and both you and they will be really glad when it's time to move out. I am guessing in 3 weeks, spring will finally be here and you won't have to agonize over late freezes like so many are doing this month.

Sue T., they are already messy! Haha. But yeah I see your point....I have no doubt they will get messier! Thank you for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom