Weasel attack! Missing toes!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clucknquack, Jun 16, 2019.

1. clucknquack

clucknquack Songster

Nov 25, 2016
    East Stroudsburg, PA
    Weasel got into my coop and killed 3 of my chickens. 1 of them survived, but half of it's foot is gone. This happened 2 days ago and I don't notice the missing toes until today. (She has a doppleganger who I must have checked over twice.)

Understandably, she is limping. But what's left of her foot and ankle are swollen. How should I treat it? Or should I just cull her and put her out of her misery?

2. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

So sorry for your loss. Can you post photos so we can see the extent of the damage? Also, do you know how the weasel got in and can you prevent entry in the future?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Try to keep the foot dry and clean - apply antibiotic ointment. Chickens can survive and have a normal life with a partial foot.

4. clucknquack

clucknquack Songster

Nov 25, 2016
    East Stroudsburg, PA
    IMG_20190616_114152.jpg IMG_20190616_113740.jpg IMG_20190616_114330.jpg

Pics of the twins and the hurt foot.

It dug under the run and chewed through the wire I had burried. I have replaced the wire, put gravel and big heavy rocks around it. Hopefully it won't get back in.

Attached Files:

5. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

I’m so sorry. Have you been able to clean the foot and apply antibiotic ointment?

Sequel and Wyorp Rock like this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you gather her up and get some better photos of the foot?

From what little I can see, it looks very swollen. You may want to gather her up, wash the foot well - use warm soapy water, saline, chlorhexidine or betadine to help with the cleaning. Access how much damage the foot suffered. Keep us posted.

Sequel and Compost King like this.
  7. clucknquack

clucknquack Songster

Nov 25, 2016
    East Stroudsburg, PA
    ***update***

I washed her foot and put Neosporin on it. The swelling has gone down and she seems to be doing well. She eats and drinks well, and plays 'steal the treat' with the others.

Her name is now "two toes".

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad she is doing better :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: