johnsonfarm

Songster
10 Years
Oct 17, 2012
Wisconsin
Usually my ducks are locked up each night in their predator proof house.
Tonight they wouldn't go in and I figured one night out wouldn't hurt... well I heard my ducks honking and went out to check... stupid weasel in the pen with them and two of the ducks have blood around their necks. It doesnt look super bad, and they're still walking and talking. So I got them all in their house and took a better look with the flashlight. They're muddy and scared, but I didnt see any other injuries.

What should I do for their wounds? I do have blue kote and vetricyn spray. I hope it's not more serious than it looks. And it's my two sweetest ones :(

Vetericyn would be good to spray on the wounds. Plain antibiotic ointment is good to use as well. You are lucky to have stopped the attack. A weasel can kill a whole flock in one night, and will come back every night. Make sure he cannot get in, since they can get into a one inch opening through chickenwire, fencing, in the space between a door and wall, so go over your coop with a good inspection. Did the weasel get away?

...A weasel can kill a whole flock in one night, and will come back every night. Make sure he cannot get in, since they can get into a one inch opening through chickenwire, fencing, in the space between a door and wall, so go over your coop with a good inspection. Did the weasel get away?

Yes, it got away and came back just before noon to finish the job:hit
I am just so mad at myself for getting complacent. Their house is Fort Knox, we've had predator attacks before and everything is solid or covered with 1/2" wire mesh.
I let them out this morning to take stock of the situation, I figured some sunshine and a splash in the pool would be good. I didn't think I had to worry about it coming back till night again, not midday!!!

So one is dead, and the other I fear wont make it. She's a mess and shaking real bad.
I put everyone back in their house with food and water for the rest of the day so she isnt alone and they're safe.

At this point I dont think it's even worth stressing her more to put vetricyn on :(

If you do not use the vetericyn infection and death can follow please use it on her bring her in find the wounds if any you can let her back out after Please
Thanks. After I wrote that I went back out for another look, she let me pick her up and talked to me so I did put a heavy dose of vetricyn after all. Part of the back of her neck and part of her head is missing skin. I will do it 4x a day since that is what the max dose is on the bottle.

Thanks. After I wrote that I went back out for another look, she let me pick her up and talked to me so I did put a heavy dose of vetricyn after all. Part of the back of her neck and part of her head is missing skin. I will do it 4x a day since that is what the max dose is on the bottle.

Then you can save her but really @Eggcessive is right need to trap that weasel and dispense with it for the safety of you birds

If you do not use the vetericyn infection and death can follow please use it on her bring her in find the wounds if any you can let her back out after Please

Back
Top Bottom