1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weasel in the coop.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Hokum Coco, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I had 11 chick that I got at the feed store being raised by a broody hen. I let them free range during the day and pen them up at night. Long story short I went out today to one chick and mama. Mama bristled up and went into defense mode. That is when I notice Mr weasel under a shelving unit. I opened up the coop and gave him 8 hours to escape. Long story short he did not take advantage of my generosity. He must have got in during the day when the coop was open and laid in wait for them at night. Things were 100% when I locked then up at dusk.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  2. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    So he got 10 of 11 chicks?

Are you sure he got 8 hours escape time? I might not have given him 8 seconds.

I notice our fish and game bunch list weasels as "around but rare". They see them as beneficial and would like to have more of them. Their claim is they kill mice and rats and lots of them. If they would limit their kills to just rats and mice, they might be a benefit. But they also kill chickens with equal enthusiasm, so for now, I'm liking the rare part.

When you see that guy resting peacefully on a shovel you get a sense of scale and how small they really are. A coop tight enough to keep one of those out would have to be awfully tight.

3. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    So sorry for your losses and for poor Momma hen. She must have felt so inadequate unable to protect her babies. Glad you got him. I don't think I would have given him 8 seconds either as he would've been back. We have lost 17+ birds to predators this year ranging from broody chicks several weeks old to adult hens and even a 13-15 lb rooster. Our culprits that we know of have been a coyote and a fox possibly a hawk but I don't really think they ever got one. Plus they are protected. Sometimes it's frustrating owning chickens. Good luck. Hope things get look brighter soon.

4. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I really did not want to kill him he was only doing what weasels are meant to do.
    Trouble is I have my homing pigeons in that same building. Moving them while the weasel was in the loft was out of the question. As it was I lost one of my best ♀ breeder to him plus 2 eggs she was incubating (She nested on the floor with this clutch) That happened during his 8 hour reprieve.

That was next to the FINAL straw!

I added a portion on to a live trap to house a pigeon in to lure him out. He was wary of the trap (I do not think he would have gone in) and while he was trying to evaluate the situation. I lost patience (I am sorry). I ventilated his cranium with a 22 LR Stinger fired from a Savage Bolt Action Repeater. I should have put a piece of glass between the pigeon and the trip treadle in stead of wire mesh. The Weasel did go in the trap but would not step on the tripping treadle. .

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  5. I feel your pain. I live in France and last week we came out in the morning to find 3 of our newest chickens missing and 7 others dead on the floor of the run with their heads bitten off. We had brought the eggs all the way from the UK in April (1,000 mile drive) and hatched them and raised them with such care in the house and they were all big, lovely young birds - Norfolk Greys and Cream Legbars. Apparently the 'fouie' or Stone Marten kills until birds stop making noise, which as we know means never. I was devastated. We have no chance of getting it but we have spent a LOT of time since making our run (a several hundred year old stone barn) predator proof. Hard when they can get through anything less than 5cm wide.

1 person likes this.
  6. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop

So sorry. I know that has to be tough.

7. TerryH

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    Wow. So sorry.

1 person likes this.
  8. Hokum Coco

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

9. TerryH

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop

I feel exactly the same way about the issues that came up from us using fresh wood chips in our run and infecting and killing some of our birds with Aspergillus fungus. Hopefully some can learn from the mistakes made.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. RxApple

RxApple New Egg

Jul 29, 2016
    Carthage, MO
    1/4" gap? How could they get through that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by