1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weasel or Mink???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Silkie Sue, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Anyone know what this little chicken killer is????
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the trap is a small rat size trap. for a size reference that is a sardine can in with her.

this little critter killed 14 of my birds on Sunday morning. 5 baby ducks, 2 polish babies , 6 Silkie hens and 1 rooster and critically injured another, who i am happy to report is healing very well.

This one will never kill again.... [​IMG]

2. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not an expert, but I'd say mink.
    I visited a mink farm years ago and I remember them looking like that. You should skin it and WEAR it. If I catch the thing getting my chicks, I'm taking its skin.

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    the mink I have trapped their noses are not as pointy as what is shown in the last piccy they weigh 3-5 pounds too I doubt they could fit in a hava heart that small google mink then click on the images tab

4. Silkie Sue

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex :

I'm not an expert, but I'd say mink.
    I visited a mink farm years ago and I remember them looking like that. You should skin it and WEAR it. If I catch the thing getting my chicks, I'm taking its skin.

i buried the tick infested, stinkin little sonofa.......​

5. Sachasmom

Sachasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    Upstate NY
    What did you bait the trap with? I'm having no luck catching mine, its killed a duckling and a silkie and injured two other ducklings, I used a leg trap when I caught the last one a few years ago but its gotten rusty.

You'd think it would eat the rats, but nope.

Mink and weasels have a different amount of toes, I can't seem to find the referrence online now tho.

Too bad you buried it, I was curious what the bite radius was, since I thought the injuries on the ducks were rather large for it to be a mink.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Should of baited your trap with it.

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's a mink. Minks are larger than weasels and weasels have white bellies. Wild males average 2.2 lbs, farm raised can get to 7 lbs.

8. Sachasmom

Mar 1, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Quote:Me? I did actually, once with the duckling, once with the silkie. Nada. I think mine perfers live bait. [​IMG]

9. Silkie Sue

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Quote:i put a can of sardines in the trap, i actually split the can with 2 traps.
    I had to bury it, that thing stunk somethin awful [​IMG]

10. Sachasmom

Mar 1, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Wonder if they like sardines in tomato sauce? I have an open stinky one in the fridge! [​IMG]

I think I am having problems because the darn ducklings just make so much "come eat me" noise... Those Runners freak at everything!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by