Weasel proofing the pen

HR Patterson

Songster
11 Years
Feb 10, 2008
Gravity, PA
First of all, let me start this post by saying, I wish the weather would cooperate :thun so I can get the henhouse over here!!
barnie.gif
he.gif
Today was spent adding a considerable amount of 1/2 inch hardware cloth to the sides and bottom of the pen. Tonight will be the first time in a week the birds will be back in the pen, although I think they were enjoying the stay in the garage at night, but my poor DW is tried of the chore of moving the birds morning and night, especially when I am gone 3 nights a week. Thought I'd post some pics of the work done so...
chickenworkdocumentary098.jpg

chickenworkdocumentary064.jpg

chickenworkdocumentary025.jpg

chickenworkdocumentary043.jpg

chickenworkdocumentary090.jpg

Last edited:
I see that you put hardware cloth over the bottom to prevent gnawing- nicely done. What are you using to protect the door?

Looks like a lot of us are busy coop-building! Weather has been an issue here too, we're waiting to make our outdoor run which will have to be secured against black bears, raptors,coyotes, bobcats, skunks, weasels, fishers, raccons (naturally!) and even the odd cougar as reported by the river.

cool.png

Looks pretty secure to me.
Can critters chew through 3/4 inch plywood? if so I will do the same as you,but my coop is 3 feet above ground.
What do you think
Ed
Chickens027.jpg

Hi Ed,
So far so good, no weasel, but I have heard that they will chew through wood. He chewed through plastic coated chicken wire the first night he got in. Good luck with your building!! The only drawback to an elevated coop in the northeast is the breeze going underneath. You may want to get some insulation board (it comes in 4x8 sheets, usually 3/4 to 1 inch thick) and fasten it too the bottom to keep your choocks feet warm. We had one bantaam loose her feet this year from frostbite.

Back
Top Bottom