Weasel Questions

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gsim, Dec 19, 2010.

1. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Does anyone know if a weasel can climb the side of a building which is 100% vinyl siding? Does anyone know how high they can jump? [​IMG]

I have a coop which has flower boxes and the lowest one is about 3 1/2 ft above the ground. The window screens are chicken wire over 2 x 4 welded wire, so I have a concern about weasels. Check out 'My BYC Page'.

Gerry

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Gerry. Enjoyed your building pics and story. Can`t help much with the weasel thing, but I would be concerned about the chicken wire, also. Probably should replace it with hardware cloth.........Pop

3. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:Thanks pop. I have already decided to just overlay the hardware cloth on the two lowest window screens just to be safe. The pen is too large to protect that way. Chicken wire inside of 2x4 welded wire fencing in concrete with a fence charger will still not stop a weasel or snake. But....Have had chickens for a year and a half now and still no losses to any pred yet but a hawk. He killed one but had no time to eat it thanks to my wife.

Gerry

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  4. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! You are a man who is not afraid of hard work. What a great job. On everything! You must have immense satisfaction from fulfilling your dreams. I can tell you really care for your chickens too. Wonderful coop. I would only cover all the windows with .5 inch hardware cloth.[​IMG]

5. startingover

startingover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Great job on your coop. Looks great... sorry for the loss of your bird...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by