weasels and badgers

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pedro24, Nov 7, 2009.

1. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    hello i was wondering if any one has any info on weasel and badger attacks on my chicken coop thanks .[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. ISSOLA

ISSOLA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    North Shore, MA
    Badgers are in Europe. And Yes - they will attack chickens. They are good predators of chickens. If you reside in the US, there are no badgers.

Weasels include minks, ferrets etc. Yes - minks attack chickens. Fisher cat is weasel-like and they are ferocious. Stay away if you see one. Another weasel-like predator is the wolverine. Definitely RUN if you see one. Minks, fisher cats and wolverine habitat in North America.

[​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  4. muttly

muttly Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2009
    wasatch mtns.
    I'm not certain but I think that weasel or mink will bite the head off a chicken a drink the blood, but a badger will create quite a mess and usually very vocal and extremely onry. Around here [Utah] we call them "flat kitty cats" don't pet the flat kitty cat.

5. ISSOLA

ISSOLA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    North Shore, MA
    Quote:I stand CORRECTED!! My husband also informs me that there are badgers in the north midlands. Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin etcetc. i.e Anywhere flat and temperate (not too hot).

Mia culpa.

ISSOLA

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

side note, highly unlikely to see a wolverine even if the poster lived in the far north of North America. They are totally solitary, barely tolerate being close enough to mate, then retreat back to their huge and solitary range and they are extremely shy of humans, not shy as in bashful, they just avoid people.

7. pedro24

pedro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    arthur, ontario
    dear ridgerunner

when i said weasels and badgers i meant how to get them away for the for
    my flock because i have seen some in my coop and all the babys are going
    missing and the we find the skeletons weeks latter headless that's what i ment
    when i said weasels and badgers. so if you have any info can you tell me before
    my flock is wiped out.

thanks bye.

8. muttly

muttly Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2009
    wasatch mtns.
    Hey Pedro how do they get into your coop? Start there, weasels can be very clever so search high and low.

9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Weasels can be very difficult because they are so small and can get through very small openings. The only way I know of to keep them out is to use 1/2" hardware cloth over every opening and lock the chickens up at night. They will sometimes come out in the daytime but they are mostly a nighttime predator. I believe very few of us have coops that will keep a determined weasel out.

Since one has found your flock, you probably should try trapping it. I don't have any experience with that and hope someone with experience will chime in with helpful information.

I know I am not much help. Weasels are very difficult.

10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I was haveing attacks on my flock about every 3rd or 4th night. I purchased a night guard. It is solar recharge & it has a small pulsating red light. Its supposed to look like a shine from a predators eye. IT WORKS!! I havent lost a bird in 6 months,since the day it was hung on the fence by the barn door. Im VERY impressed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by