Weasels and rats

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by IloveBuffy, Dec 9, 2013.

1. IloveBuffy

IloveBuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2013
    How do I repel/trap weasels? Can rats give diseases? Can a cat get rid of a weasel?

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    google weasel box I have caught the smaller ones with the old fashioned rat trap snap type

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    These traps work great. You can probably get one at your local hardware store. :)

[​IMG]

Good luck!

4. CountrySon

CountrySon New Egg

Dec 8, 2013
    Northern US midwest
    Unless you have gigantic weasels, this will hold them about as well as a sieve holds water.

Even if the mesh were weasel-sized, the pan/trigger (the part the animal steps on) would not spring on the weight of a weasel. the heaviest ones very seldom top a pound.

I am sorry if you are averse to killing one of these beautiful critters. I love watching them in my own yard.

The fact of the matter is, weasels are killing machines, and the only way to effectively remove them is to trap them using what is commonly known as a weasel box.(easy plans widely available everywhere online)

5. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Rats can give diseases to humans not sure about chickens though.Rats will steal your eggs and will kill baby chicks.You can but traps for rats.Weasel will kill your chickens and ducks.Roosters can't help you with weasels.Cats can kill weasels but they are really fast and they don't kill them that often.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by