weasels, weasels, everywhere!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by geoff40, Aug 6, 2011.

1. geoff40

geoff40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Boonies, NH
    I am newly registered, though I have been lurking for some time, on and off. Hi to all...[​IMG]

I am in New Hampshire. We have this year, the absolute biggest explosion in the numbers of weasels that are around, leading me to wonder if like other animals, their numbers peak every so often. I have seen weasels crossing the road 3 times in 2 weeks, prior to this year I don't recall when the last time was I saw a weasel.
    So far my hens are safe-I expect that will continue, as I built them a very secure coop-but all around me, people are losing chickens, 70 of them in just 2 nights a couple of weeks ago, 3 different coops in the same area. Crazy.
    Are any of you in NH, and have you noticed an increase in the numbers of weasels this year?

2. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yes they have peaks in population. The good thing is they are very territorial so the population will thin out. However, if there are a lot around, eliminate one and there is another ready to take its place.

3. MEchickenfarmer33

MEchickenfarmer33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Maine
    they do peak in population. i live in maine not too far away and i dont see ANY weasels at all. hope your chickens are fine

4. Ole and Lena

Ole and Lena Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Wright Co Minnesota
    The average small animal owner would be aghast to learn how many weasels will inhabit a single section mixed farmland. Don't know the biologist's estimates, but a few years ago when I was out of work and the price of ermine was WAY up, I trapped 27 from 2 80 acre horse farms on either side of a 100 acre slough. Caught an additional 7 on the slough after it froze in addition to several mink, 3 redfox, 4 grey fox and a coyote.

Their population fluctuates with the small rodent population, particulary the meadow vole in northern climates. These animals run in 10 year cycles at about the same time as ruffed grouse. If the grouse hunting is good, so is the weasel trapping. They can enter any hole a mouse will fit through and they dig quite effectively. They spend most of their time hunting rodents so reducing the tall grass near your chicken areas is probably the best way to mitigate your risk. They are homebodies except during the breeding season. They will occupy and defend a rather small territory. Best not to let their habitat overlap with your chickens.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    hi i'm in nh too! and yeah i have noticed [​IMG] i lost a hen to one a little while ago and one's been eating my eggs [​IMG] there seem to be a whole lot more than usual. stupid weasles! i set traps and all i catch are squirrels... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by