Weasels

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BlueDevilGirl67, Sep 19, 2007.

1. BlueDevilGirl67

BlueDevilGirl67 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2007
    Central NC
    Does anyone have problems w/ weasels? My s-i-l in Va. had a weasel that took just the heads of her chickens and left the body. I have been told that it is the faint smell of a skunk that is the dead giveaway of a weasel. My problem is that we live in the country with skunks all around [​IMG]. My coops are pretty secure but still.

2. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    I had a nasty little weasel get into the house once and my cat fought it. I woke up to a cat/weasel fight and that little thing STUNK. Not like skunk though more like a musky smell- ever smelled a ferret? kind of like that.

Thank goodness the critters haven't found my coop

YET [​IMG]

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    We have been very lucky so far, no weasels. My husband says they are a nasty little critter. They can get through the smallest hole and once they find chickens they won't quit till they kill them all. We play a radio in the meat chickens barn at night. Even though the barn is chicken wired all over a weasel could get in but so far, we haven't lost any in the 7 years we have been raising them. Our hens now have a radio during the day when they are outside to keep the foxes and coyotes away.

Good luck!

4. SimplcitiyAltered

SimplcitiyAltered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Grand Ridge, Iillinois
    Are they sure it is a weasel? Usually they do not take the heads off they will bite the heads and neck to kill but leave the birds intact. Out of the 45 we lost from the weasel we had no heads were missing.

5. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

were the bodies on the other side of the fence? Racoons will reach into the pens through the fence and pull the heads off trying to bring the chicken to the other side.....

Electric fencing is your best defense ( in my opinion)

Sandra

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by