weasels!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jwchicklady, Jul 13, 2010.

1. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    I have heard that weasels can decimate a flock of chickens in no time. Today I found a dead, baby weasel on my driveway---i think the cats must have gotten to it. Any how that makes me very nervous because now i know there is a momma weasel in the vicinity! I have never seen a weasel in the wild, but i know for sure it was a weasel. what to do?? what to do?? any suggestions? I do have a farm dog who is in the paddock area where the chicken coop is, but will he hear or see the weasel at night when he is sleeping??
    help,
    Julianne

2. Weasels are cunning, silent and deadly. They will kill and kill and kill some more until there is nothing left to kill.

Your dog is pretty much worthless unless it hears the chickens going off.

Batan down the hatches. A Weasel will go through anything it can get it's skull through.

3. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    that is what i am afraid of, i have let some run security issues go because the dog has kept all the coons...away. But, i am afraid that a weasel could get by his detection until the chickens start squaking and then it would be too late for some of the chickens. guess that i will have to batton down the hatches--it is going to take some work. do you think a grown weasel can get through chicken wire?

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    If you google "weasel boxes" the top two links show a safe way to trap them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by