1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weasels

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JoePa, Jul 6, 2011.

1. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    I just finished my new run - surounded the run with welded wire with poultry wire put over that - it's definitely predator proof except maybe for weasels - thought of putting hardware cloth around the bottom four feet - now the question - do weasels climb? - would they be able to climb up the other wire to get above the hardware cloth? - anybody a weasel expert? - thanks

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Weasels are excellent climbers and are good swimmers too!

3. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Not sure but i know first hand they are crafty and smart and if can find a hole the diamater of a hot dog - they will get in. They are amazing little squeeze artists - squeezing them selves in. Hopefully someone will chime in if they climb or not but io wouldnt be surprised! Lost 8 chickens to a mink - not the same - but weasel like!

4. trulyblessed

trulyblessed Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Hmm, I'm not sure, but was wondering if weasels can fit through regular chicken wire too?

5. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    There goes my castle with a moat plan, dang. Yes, weasels can climb trees to get to squirrels and easily fit through chicken wire.

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yes they will climb, swim, jump two-foot spans and any hole large enough to admit a mouse can be accessed by a weasel. The one that killed my chickens came in through a hole mice had chewed under the coop door.

7. Kris64

Kris64 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2014
    Black Mountain, NC
    Love that you posted this. It's exactly what we were planning on doing. How did it go? What ended up working (or not working) for you?

8. 19disbre

19disbre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    They cannot easily fit through chicken wire but will find away in covering the first 4 feet with hardware cloth should do the trick

9. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Yes they can easily fit through chicken wire and yes they can most definitely climb

10. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    other than cats and dogs anything else that kills weasels and stoats? any bird species?

they can fit through chicken wire and smaller holes than brown rats can, its impossible to keep one out almost without hardwire cloth.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by