Weasels

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by real_redhead, Sep 10, 2011.

1. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Does anyone have a problem with weasels? My daughter saw something today by the woodpile that she described a light brown/orange color with a long body and a long furry tail, not furry like a squirrel, had paws not claws. Granted she is 7 yrs old and she tried to draw a picture. I have asked her if she was sure it wasn't a squirrel or a rat or a chipmunk and she said no. I found some pics of weasels online and it looks like the picture she drew and the color sounds right plus it has a furry tail. We also saw something similar a year or two ago that my husband thought was a rat...I chased it inot a neighbors yard and all I saw was the light coat and the furry tail...thinking it's back or has been hear the whole time and we never see it. Now I am worried about letting my girls out to free range when I am home and even worried about it getting in the run. I love sitting out with them but usually let them out when I am home and doing stuff around the house inside and out si I am not wathcing them all the time. Any thoughts about weasels?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    This one is native to your area

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/information/?s=050041

This species has a long, slender body, and neck, short legs and a long bushy tail. The fur is dark brown dorsally and white-yellowish ventrally, with a black tail tip. The males are about 10-15% larger than the females. This species mates July or August. There is delayed implantation, with one litter, of 4-9 young are born in April or May in a nest chamber lined with fur, and grass. It is active day and night and does not normally travel long distances. This species is native and may live up to three years in the wild.

[​IMG]

3. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    Thanks. Showed a picture to my daughter this morning and she said YES that is what I saw and it is so cute!!! Yeah so cute until it gets my chickens. Thinking about trying to trap it. After doing some research looks like weasels will go after chickens when other food supplies become scarce. WE have plenty of chipmunks, squirrels, small birds that hopefully it will leave the chickens alone. I am just wondering if I can let them out in the backyard to free range?

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    we have never had a season on them until this year there is actually a season for trapping them now, they do not turn white here so they are of no value to a fur trapper just a nuisance to a chicken farmer LOL the only time I have ever found them here is around chickens LOL

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/furbearertrapping.asp

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by