1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Weather and Broodiness of Silkies?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CloggingChicken, Oct 15, 2009.

1. CloggingChicken

CloggingChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    We have two silkies that started over the last 2 months. The weather has turned cooler and the last two days they have stayed in their respective "egg laying" corners. One of them is actually sitting on a plastic easter egg. She pecks and makes noises when you try to get anything from under her. I don't think that she realizes that my wife slipped the real one out earlier. This is our first try at chickens and we are not sure, but does weather change cause broodiness?

2. Jacob42

Jacob42 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Saginaw MN
    Sorry I am of no help to answer your question but I am wondering at what age your silkies started laying the eggs? We have 3 silkies and are not sure when to expect eggs because we have heard mixed reviews. Some people say 8-9 months some people say the normal 20 weeks or so.

3. CloggingChicken

CloggingChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    Ours where around the 8 month mark. We got them when they were about 4-5 months old in late April. Our other hens are Buff and Blue Orpingtons for the most part. We have three of those that are sporadically laying now. They started around the 6 month mark.

Good Luck with yours.
    Bill

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Broody hens don' care what the weather is like. When the urge hits them, they try to brood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by